Email Spam Detector
rebel_born
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can turn the SpamDetector on using the email settings spamdetector radio button, but when I click the "Save" settings button, I get an error message that says the settings were unable to be saved and the detector gets switched off.  Being overrun with Spam and tired of manually chasing spammers.  Would be nice to be able to block subdomain IPs, but I think the filter ignores partial IPs.  Any ideas?  Doesn't matter what computer or browser is used.  Results always the same.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email Spam Detector
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

rebel_born,

I can't help with your problem withthe buttons, but here is a workaround I have used to combat spam with some success. It's only a workaround, not a real solution. One of the forum moderators suggested the core part of it, then I tweaked it a little. It works on the principle that most spam is sent as a BCC, and is not addressed TO the sender.

Log into webmail and go to Settings>Email settings>filters>add new filters. Set up a new rule that says "IF To: or CC:" does not contain <your email address>, then move messages to trash. I created a folder that I called "filtered spam" and have the messages moved there instead of trash so I can go back in and make sure the filters aren't catching anything I really want.

Because I use the "Always BCC myself" feature on my iPhone and iPad, I then added a second filter that says, "If From Contains <your email address>, then move messages to folder Inbox." This allows the BCC's to myself to be delivered.

The glitch is if someone legitimately sends a BCC, I don't get it. I have added several additional filters to allow some low tech newsletters that I get to be delivered. Those rules read, "If From Contains <e-mail address of the sender> Then Move messages to Inbox." It is also possible to put a domain name in the filter in lieu of an e-mail address, if you want to be certain that all BCC's from that organization come through.

This solution isn't perfect - some spam still gets through. But, over a recentt week, it has filtered out 450 spam e-mails and only allowed 7 spam e-mails through. Over this same period the filters caught 2 valid e-mails.

So, it's not perfect, but I find that it is still a lot better. I hope this helps.

In the meantime, let's all keep lobbying VZN for a decent spam filter.

j_m

View solution in original post

james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

rebel_born,

I can't help with your problem withthe buttons, but here is a workaround I have used to combat spam with some success. It's only a workaround, not a real solution. One of the forum moderators suggested the core part of it, then I tweaked it a little. It works on the principle that most spam is sent as a BCC, and is not addressed TO the sender.

Log into webmail and go to Settings>Email settings>filters>add new filters. Set up a new rule that says "IF To: or CC:" does not contain <your email address>, then move messages to trash. I created a folder that I called "filtered spam" and have the messages moved there instead of trash so I can go back in and make sure the filters aren't catching anything I really want.

Because I use the "Always BCC myself" feature on my iPhone and iPad, I then added a second filter that says, "If From Contains <your email address>, then move messages to folder Inbox." This allows the BCC's to myself to be delivered.

The glitch is if someone legitimately sends a BCC, I don't get it. I have added several additional filters to allow some low tech newsletters that I get to be delivered. Those rules read, "If From Contains <e-mail address of the sender> Then Move messages to Inbox." It is also possible to put a domain name in the filter in lieu of an e-mail address, if you want to be certain that all BCC's from that organization come through.

This solution isn't perfect - some spam still gets through. But, over a recentt week, it has filtered out 450 spam e-mails and only allowed 7 spam e-mails through. Over this same period the filters caught 2 valid e-mails.

So, it's not perfect, but I find that it is still a lot better. I hope this helps.

In the meantime, let's all keep lobbying VZN for a decent spam filter.

j_m

rebel_born
Enthusiast - Level 1

j_m,

Thanks!  Put it in place and it traps about 30-40 a day, which is almost all of my spam.  Compared to some of you guys, I guess I'm lucky!

DR

0 Likes
olblue1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You seem to be answering everyone's email, which is laudable and I have just implemented your suggestions.

I have just two question  Where the Hell is Verizon and their reps?  How do they just ignore what is going on.

A very dissatisfied customer

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

olblue,

I hope this workaround helps you.  It's been a lifesaver for my wife and I.

As regards your comments about my answering a lot of posts,  I answer a lot related to detecting spam, because I can cut and paste the answer in from previous answers.  I know that egregious amounts of spam are extremely irritating and if I can help others solve their problems, so much the better.  Perhaps some of them will "pay it forward" and help someone else with a problem they have. 

I know that VZN should be doing more to solve the spam issue and share your frustrations.  But, as I noted, the core to solution that I posted was suggested by a moderator.  The Forums are supposed to be for users to share solutions among themselves.  The moderators are here to help and moderate.  So to that extent they are doing their job.

But, as I closed my original reply, "In the meantime, let's all keep lobbying VZN for a decent spam filter." 

Moderators . . . can you let us know if there is anything in the works?

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need to keep compaining about the Current Spam filter. 

They are migrating accounts to AOL.com.  Aol.com has a much newer Spam Filter.

0 Likes
olblue1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your solution did work.  Never the less, while we all pay our hard earned money to Verizon for FIOS/Internet/phone service.  When that service deteriorates big time the excuse that one day we will have AOL spam prevention and there is no need to complain just doesn't cut it. 

What if you local restuarant decided you need to bring your own china and silverware?  No there isn't  a line entry on your dinner bill for silverware and china, but it is not a freebie, it is part of the service that comparable restaurants provide.

0 Likes