Email deletion by the Verizon email server
RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed a disturbing trend in my email Inbox.    Since about the first of the year, I have noticed that most of my older email messages have been deleted by the Verizon email server, which is allowable under the terms of agreement as per below:

Email Retention

• All read Verizon Online email messages remain on the Verizon server until you decide to delete them.  All unread Verizon Online email messages are deleted from the Verizon server after 90 days

The problem?   The messages being deleted had been read previously.   And, this morning, two more messages were deleted automatically.   And, yes, they had been read - in March of 2008.

It is not like I am using any storage space.   I am at less than 1% of my allowed storage allocation.

This appears to be a violation of Verizon's terms of agreement.   What gives?

0 Likes
Re: Email deletion by the Verizon email server
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Do you have any email clients (outlook, mac mail, thunderbird) or any other type of device accessing this mail box or configured for it? In these clients there are setting to delete then email after a certain amount of days.

RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

None.  I do not have any email client connecting to this email account.   I only use a browser to connect and read email.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I have sent you a private message to get more information on the account.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Any time mail disappears from the server, there's a pretty good chance there's some device pulling it off. This can happen even without you intending it to. For example, the default Verizon setup for a long time (and possibly still) configured Outlook automatically unless you were paying attention and unchecked the box during the install.

The easiest way to fix it is to change your password. Once the device(s) can no longer authenticate, the disappearances should stop.

HelpMe12341

I had the same issue. Almost all of my emails have disappeared recently. These were "read" emails, so they shouldn't have been deleted by the server. I do not use Outlook - only webmail. I contacted Live Chat help a few days ago, but they were completely unhelpful. The person kept telling me it was because I didn't have everything in folders. That is not required, though, according to the terms listed on the Support page for email retention policy, as the OP noted.

I have lost many email records that I need, and I am very frustrated by this. Can anyone at Verizon give a clear answer as to what happened? And is there any chance of getting those emails back?

Thank you.

0 Likes
mteggatz

I have been having this same problem since before Christmas.  All of my emails from 2009 and back are still in there, but I am missing everything from 2/9/12 and back.  That is not even 90 days so what the heck is going on???  This is very frustrating as I am missing a lot of important emails.  I too do not use Outlook and there is nothing pulling these of my account.

Is there anyway to retrieve this 1 year plus of deleted emails???

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The second email is removed from Verizon servers (if it's not in webmail it's not on the server) then the message is gone, with no way to recover it.     HOPE That your missing emails were not in fact deleted from the verizon server "only" and that another email program (droid email, iphone email, ipad email, nook, kindle, tablet, pc, laptop etc....) grabbed the messages and removed them, because then you can look on those devices and find the messages.     

RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my case, it started again.   A series of email from late December 2011 have just gone "Poof".   These messages had been read and they should have stayed in my account space.  When this first started happening, I was advised to change my password (which I did) because it was thought that some rogue email client (like MS Outlook) was somehow mysteriously logging in, down loading individual messages and setting them for deletion.   And, the folder trick does not work since I tried that a few years ago with no luck.

Quite frustrated.

-R Rzepka

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes