Eudora: Suddenly only rarely download and send mail
InTroubleNow

A few days before and since I changed the incoming and outgoing addresses (pop & smtp) as per Verizon's email I am rarely ever to download and send email with Eudora 7.1.  The operations window shows "connecting to mail server" and after many seconds, it times out. The error message says cannot connect to pop.verizon.net. Cause, connection timed out. 

Before changing the outgoing and incoming addresses, I had made no changes in Eudora settings. I've been using the emailer for eons.  Secure Sockets setting for sending and receiving is "required, alternate port."

Sometimes after cranking for many minutes the operations window informs me that it is downloading messages, but then that too fails due to being timed out. 

Other times it cranks and cranks, then cranks some more after saying it is downloading messages and after half a minute or more messages arrive. Other times it downloads and sends nearly instantaneously, as it's supposed to.  For a while I could send and receive immediately after rebooting my modem, but then it was back to normal failure.

I've rebooted my modem and computer. I reinstalled Eudora. 

I've had this problem intermittantly for a long time, but now it is continuous.

I'm having no issues with my internet connection and the browser works fine. Verizon tech support said there are no issues with the email service and of course since they (conveniently) only support Outlook, they couldn't help any further.

Any advice?  Suggestons? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Eudora: Suddenly only rarely download and send mail
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>introublenow: A few days before and since I changed the incoming and outgoing addresses (pop & smtp) as per Verizon's email I am rarely ever to download and send email with Eudora 7.1.  The operations window shows "connecting to mail server" and after many seconds, it times out. The error message says cannot connect to pop.verizon.net. Cause, connection timed out.

In Eudora, have you:

1. Checked the settings and made changes in Tools > Options "Getting Started", "Checking Mail" and "Sending Mail"?

2. In Tools > Personalities (or by choosing "Properties" for a specific Personality via the Personality tab) > Incoming Mail tab (and Tools > Options > Checking Mail) did you set "Authentication Style" to "Passwords"

3. Have you defined a Relay Personality? This may only be necessary if you have non-verizion email accounts as I do.

I laid out the Eudora settings that I changed in the thread "Eudora & server changes" thread. Take a browse through the thread--there is a typo in the 1st post (couldn't edit the post) where I typed "smpt" rather than "smtp" and I corrected in a later post in the thread along with some additional settings in 8th post so look at all the posts in the thread.

With the changes I made as noted in that thread I've not had any problems sending or receiving email in Eudora.

Hope that helps..

0 Likes