Eudora & server changes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

I was completely unaware of any planned changes to the Verizon email servers when I was unable to send email from Eudora yesterday although from reading through the forum I discovered that supposedly there were emails sent and some sort of announcements made--I received no email notification(s) and could find no announcement (there is NO announcement section displayed in "My Verizon, I want to.." section). I could successfully send mail out via Thunderbird. After 5-6 hours of browsing around and trying this and that, I stumbled across the correct changes that needed to be made in Eudora and joined the forum so I could post the following which I hope will help other Eudora users.

Before I get into the details, I should note that I have a number of different email accounts (Personalities) established in Eudora and my primary Eudora account--the "Dominant" personality--is not my verizon account so keep that in mind when reading the following:

1. Eudora > Tools > Options:
    A. Getting Started - existing account settings stay the same, change the following:
            - SMPT Server (Outgoing): smpt.verizon.net

checkmark “Allow Authentication”

B. Checking Mail - existing account settings stay the same, change:
              - Secure Sockets when Receiving: Required, Alternate Port

(was: “if available, starttls”)

(I would  like to thank user "QRK" in thread

"Email Settings - ONCE AND FOR ALL" for this key piece of info on

what to choose in "Secure Sockets when Receiving"

C. Sending Mail - existing account settings stay the same, change:
               - SMTP Server: smtp.verizon.net

checkmark: “Allow Authentication”

“Immediate Send”

"Send on Check”
               - SMTP Relay Personality: Required to send mail from Eudora from other

non-verizon email  accounts–the name of

Eudora verizon Personality (account)

selected from drop down menu
               - Secure Sockets when Sending: Required, Alternate Port

😧 Optional: With Eudora closed, check the Eudora installation folder for a

subfolder “extrastuff” for the file “esoteric.epi” copying the file

to the main Eudora installation folder. This will add a “Ports” option

near the bottom of the Tools > Options list which will allow the

specification of a number of different ports. This is not required

and specifying the new SMTP port (465) in the appropriate Ports

option field does not speed up the send/outgoing mail processing.

2. Eudora > Tools > Personalities (or click on the Personality tab):
    A. “Dominant” Eudora Personality (email account) Properties: 

- Generic Properties tab - existing account settings stay the same, change:
                    - SMTP Server: smtp.verizon.net;

checkmark: “Authentication Allowed”

“Use Relay Personality, if Defined”

do not checkmark: “Use Submission Port (587)”

- Incoming Mail tab - existing account settings stay the same, change:

Note: Change any other non-verizon email account (Eudora Personality)

settings in the same way

B. Verizon email account Eudora Personality Properties: 

- Generic Properties tab - This is the “Relay Personality”

selected from the dropdown menu in 1C (Sending Mail)

above and the verizon account settings stay the same,change:
                       - SMTP Server: smtp.verizon.net

checkmark: “Authentication Allowed”

“Use Relay Personality, if Defined”

do not checkmark: “Use Submission Port (587)”

- Incoming Mail tab - verizon account settings stay the same, change:
                        - Server: pop.verizon.net

As I noted above, I had no problems--yesterday--sending mail using Thunderbird with the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" using "Server Name" of "outgoing.verizon.net", "Port" 587, "Connection Security" of "None", "Authentication Method" of "Password Transmitted Insecurely".

Today however, thoseThunderbird settings didn't work so I changed the "Server Name" to smtp.verizon.net, "Port" to 465, "Connection Security" to SSL/TLS and "Authentication Method" to Normal Password and my emails were successfully sent.

Hope the above proves useful...

Re: Eudora & server changes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

For some reason my link to the thread "Email Settings - Once and For All" didn't work  and apparently one can't edit one's own post...so...let's try this:

1. This is the raw link:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Settings-ONCE-AND-FOR-ALL/td-p/547739

2. Let's try creating an active link: "Email Settings - Once and For All" and see if it works this time.

tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

It is really incredibly annoying that you can't edit your own posts!

I have discovered a significant typo in my original post.

In the "1. Eudora > Tools > Options: A. Getting Started" the change should be made to SMTP Server (Outgoing)--not smPT--and the new server name is smtp.verizon.net--not "smpt"

Also, if anyone has a link to the announcement for these changes, I'd appreciate it if you could post the link in a reply to this thread because I can't find the announcement anywhere--yes, I've looked in "My Verizon, I want to..." and there is no announcement section...

Thanks...

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tlb wrote:

...  if anyone has a link to the announcement for these changes, I'd appreciate it if you could post the link ...  

See if this helps:

http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/867...

Also and although my memory is a bit foggy on this, I don't believe you can edit your posts until your post count reaches a certain level (perhaps 5 or so).

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>armond_in_nj: See if this helps

Thanks for the link but what I was looking for was the "original" announcement from Verizon about this change.

As I noted, my first discovery of a problem was when I couldn't send mail out of Eudora and I discovered the server changes when I stumbled across the forum postings via a browser search for the error I was receiving when trying to send. I've not received any sort of email about it (via either my verizon email account or my alternate email account) and I can't find the announcement others have referenced--I can't find the Announcement section that someone said should be displayed within "My Verizon". 

>>armond_in_nj: Also and although my memory is a bit foggy on this, I don't believe you can edit your posts until your post count reaches a certain level (perhaps 5 or so).

Ahhh! Interesting...it's really annoying not to be able to edit my own posts--particularly since the typo I later discovered in my initial post is significant...'-}}

Thanks!

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

So I have finally found the Verizon Announcements page:

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_announcement

I found it by:

1. Signing in to my Verizon account

2. Click on "I want to..."  -- left side of the screen, just above the boxed-options "Home", "My Services", "Bill and Payment", etc.

3. A drop down menu will display and from the "I want to..." drop down menu, I chose "Check Verizon Announcements"--I had been looking for an Announcements box-option in the list of box-options just below the "I want to..." not realizing that "I want to..." was actually a drop down menu..

Here is the link to the actual announcement about the email server changes--I have never received the email from Verizon about these changes that others said they received and as I have noted in my other posts, the first I knew of it was when I could not send from Eudora--url might wrap:

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_announcement&id=email_13_01...

Hope the above proves useful...

Later Edit: I have also discovered that it takes 6 posts to be able to edit one's own posts BUT even though I can now edit this post (my 6th), I am still not allowed to edit posts 1 to 5! Truly, the Lithium BrandNation forum software has quite bizarre rules! I am a sysop on another forum and the forum software we use always allows users to edit their own posts but we have set the forum software to limit links in a newly registered user's posts until they have posted x-number of times which helps to stop drive-by link spam--there were no restrictions on my posting link(s) in my first post to the forum.

0 Likes
donscomp

Been fighting this since yesterday.

Fried!!!!

I still am getting Shhhhh da da da me@pop.verizon.net Auth. failed.

iphone I havnt change anything and it still works.

But this is in Eudora 7.1 which I upgraded from 5.

But just canNOT get it to work since this change.

Errrrr

Thank YOU for this topic post.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>donscomp: Thank YOU for this topic post.

You are most welcome...I hope that the settings I outlined did the trick for you--I meant to mention that I was using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and forgot--but I'm not sure from your post that they did help because your post is a bit unclear.

Is Eudora working properly for you or not?

From what you said in your post, it appears that you are getting an error on your incoming mail--because the pop.verizon.net is the INCOMING mail server name.

In Eudora, check the following:

1. Eudora > Tools > Personality (or click on the "Personality" tab)

- Highlight the appropriate personality

- Right click and choose "Properties"

- Click on the "INCOMING MAIL" tab         

- Is "Server" set to pop.verizon.net

- Is "Configuration" set to Pop

- Is "Authentication Style" set to Passwords

- Is "Secure Sockets when Receiving" set to "Required, Alternate Port"

2. Eudora > Tools > Options > Getting Started:

- is "Mail Server (Incoming)" set to pop.verizon.net 

(I didn't have to change this because I use a different (non-verizon) incoming mail server)

- is "SMTP Server (Outgoing)" set to smtp.verizon.net

- is "Allow Authentication" checkmarked

3. Eudora > Tools > Options > Checking Mail:

- is "Mail Server" set to pop.verizon.net

- is "Send on Check" checkmarked

- is "Secure Sockets when Receiving" set to "Required, Alternate Port"

Eudora > Tools > Options > Incoming Mail:

- is "Server Configuration" set to Pop

- is "Authentication Style" set to Passwords

BigJim21
Enthusiast - Level 2

tlb -

Assuming I understand the multiple Personality environment in which you work, I would strongly recommend you investigate and understand the Relay Personality capability.  It will make life much simpler for you.

I too am a long time user of Eudora 7.1.0.9 with multiple Personalities and believe it is still one of the best POP applications.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>bigjim2: Assuming I understand the multiple Personality environment in which you work, I would strongly recommend you investigate and understand the Relay Personality capability.  It will make life much simpler for you.     

If you take a look at my first post, you'll see that I do have a Relay Personality defined (see "C. Sending Mail"). The Relay Personality is required to send mail from Eudora when using the Verizon servers--or at least, I never found a way to do it without the RP. I don't use my Verizon email account (I never send mail using the account) and my Eudora "Dominant" Personality is defined using another (non-Verizon) email account that I consider my primary email address and because of that the Eudora > Tools > Options > "Getting Started" and "Checking Mail" suboptions use that email address' servers--it's a compuserve account--so I only use Verizon's outgoing servers.

>>>>bigjim2: I too am a long time user of Eudora 7.1.0.9 with multiple Personalities and believe it is still one of the best POP applications.

I love Eudora and I'm very grateful it still works--just recently had a new custom Win7 desktop system built and I was very pleased that I can use Eudora with no problems. I also use Thunderbird primarily for another email account--tbird also gives me a sort of backup to Eudora.

Thanks!

0 Likes