Re: Eudora (& Thunderbird) server changes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>bigdog15050: I think the spammers get in when you answer a e mail from someone who uses "yahoo" or whateer and you make the "list"

I wouldn't be surprised. I do have a Yahoo email account that I established many eons ago for the Yahoo Groups I belong to and I use it as a throw-away account when I need to register for some site I will never visit again and interestingly enough, I rarely get spam at that account but I get a fair amount of spam with my other email accounts with spoofed yahoo.com email addresses. My first verizon email account came with my Verizon DSL account--I now have FiOS--and I had the account less than 2 hours (never used it anywhere) before the first batch of spam hit the account...'-}}

0 Likes
Re: Eudora & server changes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

I as well use Eudora and cannot get ANY email as of today.  I have tried all the settings outlined in this thread and no luck.  Eudora stalls at the Connectin To mail Server step.  I ever tried backing up my eudora.ini, deleting it, and starting fresh.  No luck.  Anyone know what I can do to get email back?

0 Likes
dale5351
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am receiving incoming mail using mail.verizon.net instead of the pop.verizon.net that was mentioned in some of the above messages.  If that does not work for you, then either use the online chat (expect a 30 min wait) or call their 800 type number (probably similar wait).

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

Follwo Up:  I downloaded Thunderbird (god  I ahte that program) and can use mail just fine with the settings that it auto configured as outlined below:

incomeing.verizon.net - 995

SSL/TLS

Encrypted Password

outgoing.verizon.net - 465

Normal Password

SSL/TLS

I went into Eudora and set the servers to match theer and now instead of locking at Connecting To Server it locks at Logging Into POP Server.

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK maybe it was a matter of being patient and waitn gfor chanegs to propogate but all is well now with fetching/sending mail with Eudora.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>ImNotDave: OK maybe it was a matter of being patient and waitn gfor chanegs to propogate but all is well now with fetching/sending mail with Eudora.

I'm glad it's working for you now.

I was going to say that I wondered if the problems you were having with Eudora after changing back to the "old" server names was that you kept the "new" security settings (ssl/tls and required, alternate port) but I guess that's wasn't the issue...

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK  so I spoke too soon.  It is ALMOST working right.  I can fetch andd send form my verizon accounts BUT my accounts at other POPs can only send and NOT fetch.  I am webmaster or several web sites and have webmaster@ accounts for them.  I am gettign no incoming mail form them.  I know mail is in the inbox from logging into the web mail though.

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well in another case of "I went ahead and tried one more thing after posting" I got this totally resolved...

Settigns as follows:

TOOLS - OPTIONS

GETTING STARTED

Mail Server Incoming: incoming.verizon.net

SMTP Server: smtp.verizion.net

CHECKING MAIL

Mail Server: incoming.verizon.net

Secure sockets When Receiving: Required, Alternate Port

INCOMING MAIL:

Server Configuration: POP

Authentication Type: Passwords

PERSONALITIES

DOMINANT

GENERIC

Authentication Allowed: Checked

Secure Sockets When Sending: Required, Alternate Port

INCOMING

Server: incoming.verizon.net

Secure Sockets When Receiving: Required, Alternate Port

OTHER VERIZON PERSONA

Same as above

NON VERIZON PERSONA

GENERIC

Authentication Allowed: Checked

Secure Sockets When Sending: Required, Alternate Port

INCOMING

Server: mail.domain.com (use the actual incoming mail server from the domain for that email account)

Secure Sockets When Receiving: Required, Alternate Port

That all being said you MIGHT need to add lines to Eudora.ini  (This link may be very helpful http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html).  I have these two parameters set.

SMTPPort=465
POPPort=995

They MAY not be needed but it does work with them.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>ImNotDave: Well in another case of "I went ahead and tried one more thing after posting" I got this totally resolved...

Do you have a Relay Personality chosen/defined in Eudora?

I could not send mail out via my non-verizon email accounts without choosing/defining the Relay Personality which is my Verizon email account. If you have not chosen/defined a Relay Personality and mail sent via non-verizon email accounts is successfully sent, my guess is it's because your Eudora Dominant personality is your Verizon email account--my Eudora Dominant personality is a non-verizon email account.

To establish the The Relay Personality:

1. Go to Tools > Options > Sending Mail > SMTP Relay Personality and choose the email account you want to use as the Relay Personality from the dropdown menu which lists all the Eudora Personalities defined via Tools > Personality (or by clicking on the Personality tab).

2. Then for each personality (even the personality chosen as the Relay Personality) in Personality > Properties > Generic Properties tab > SMTP Server section, checkmark "Use Relay Personality, if defined"

>>ImNotDave: That all being said you MIGHT need to add lines to Eudora.ini  (This link may be very helpful http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html).  I have these two parameters set. SMTPPort=465
POPPort=995

An alternative to editing the Eudora.ini file is to do the following:

With Eudora closed, check in the Eudora installation folder for a subfolder “extrastuff” for the file “esoteric.epi” copying "esoteric.epi" to the main Eudora installation folder. The next time you open Eudora, check Tools > Options, scrolling down and you will see the added “Ports” option (near the bottom of the Tools > Options list) which will allow the specification of a number of different ports--I have not found this to be required and specifying the new SMTP port (465) in the appropriate Ports option field does not speed up the send/outgoing mail processing.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

Thanks. This does work, but you have to be patient. Once you re-open Eudora, it will take about a half hour before Eudora is able to negotiate new settings for incoming and actually receive email. Then it will be OK. And the first time you send, expect it to take about a half hour to negotiate the new sendings as well.

0 Likes