Re: Eudora & server changes
BillSamuel1

I seem to have spoken too soon in my earlier reply. I was still waiting for it to do a Send. Unfortunately it will not send email with these settings.

Furthermore, Eudora keeps stalling and crashing with these settings.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

The error message is something like Error reading from network. Sorry about the difficulty on being precise, but the task error message disappears almost immediately after you view it.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

Error message popped up again. What I wrote is exactly what the error message is.

Unfortunately Eudora is almost unusable with these settings. Because of its inability to multitask, it just gets stuck on trying to Send when it can't.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

The problem with Sending seems to be that the change from "if available, starttls" to "Required, Alternate Port" will not stick in the settings. Eudora reverts it back, and this seems to be a required setting for it to work. If anyone can figure out how to get Eudora to permanently accept the changed setting, please write.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>billsamuel: The problem with Sending seems to be that the change from "if available, starttls" to "Required, Alternate Port" will not stick in the settings. Eudora reverts it back, and this seems to be a required setting for it to work. If anyone can figure out how to get Eudora to permanently accept the changed setting, please write.

I've not had any problem with "Required, Alternate Port" sticking.

Some stuff to check:

1. Did you choose "Required, Alternate Port" in  in Tools > Options, "Getting Started", "Checking Mail" and "Sending Mail" suboptions and in "Incoming Mail" set "Authentication Style" to "Passwords"--along with changing the incoming and outgoing server names?

2. In Tools > Personalities (or by selecting a personality via the Personality tab) did you choose "Required, Alternate Port" in both the "Generic Properties" tab and the "Incoming Mail" tab and and on the "Generic Properties" tab did you UNcheck "Use Submission Port (587)" for each Personality and on the "Incoming Mail" tab did you set "Authentication Style" to "Password"?

Hope that helps...

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I have relay checked and always have.

The .cpi did not work for me to add those fields.  It does not do that in all versions of Eudora hence the link I gave for all of the available ini entries in Eudora.

0 Likes
ImNotDave
Enthusiast - Level 3

1)  revert - back is redundant! 🙂   Revert neabs to go back!

Anyway, the settinsg do not revrt for me or anyone else I know who is using Eudora.  Something goofy is going on on your end.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>ImNotDave: Yes I have relay checked and always have.

Thanks for confirming you use it...

>>ImNotDave: The .cpi did not work for me to add those fields.  It does not do that in all versions of Eudora hence the link I gave for all of the available ini entries in Eudora.

Ahhh...interesting--it's ".Epi" by the way. I'm using Eudora 7.1.0.9--last version I think. Which version are you using? If I make the recommendation about copying esoteric.epi in the future, I'll add a note about it not working in all versions.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

I finally got it to stick.

The problem with Eudora is that it is very difficult to negotiate the new protocols. Each time you open Eudora, it tries and tries and tries. It may take 30 minutes. It may take an hour. You may have to close it (and you have to use Task Manager to do this because it won't close normally while it is trying to negotiate with the server) and open it again. It's not that it won't work at all, but it works so poorly that it is extremely frustrating.

The way Verizon is doing it does not work well at all. Do you think there is any chance we can get them to revise it to a protocol where server negotiation is not so excruciatingly difficult?

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

Do you know whether they're using TCP/IPv6? I find in Network Connections that is not working.

0 Likes