Re: Eudora, new to FIOS - can't send email
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you're almost there, and all the hardwork is done. 

leave all the outgoing stuff alone and ONLY change your incoming stuff.  

change your incoming mail server to the server that your email address uses, and put your email and password for the incoming stuff.   like I mentioned all the outgoing stuff is perfect, so only play with the incoming stuff, and change that to match your current email providers incoming information 

0 Likes
tanstaafl2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I just prematurely sent a response to Hubrisnxs.  I'll try again.

I don't think I've made any progress.  But I have done some more experimenting.

First of all, for clarification sake, let's say my 2 email addresses are

myverizonname@verizon.net

and

myemailname@mycompany.com

What I'm trying to do is send and receive email, using Eudora, via the 2nd email address, myemailname@mycompany.com, over a new Verizon FIOS internet connection.

Here are the only options (in CAPS) that Eudora provides, what I've tried, and what has or has not worked:

EMAIL ADDRESS: myverizonname@verizon.net (doesn't work, either to send OR receive email)

myemailname@mycompany.com (does work, but only to receive email)

MAIL SERVER (INCOMING): verizon.net (doesnt work)

mycompanyname.com (works to receive only)

USER NAME: myverizonname (doesn't work)

myemailname (works to receive only)

SMTP SERVER (OUTGOING):  outgoing.verizon.net (can receive only, see above)

Also, as noted earlier, I've checked a box to Allow Authentication, and I'm using Port 587.

In addition, when Eudora first starts up it prompts me for a password.   I can receive email using the password for the mycompanyname.com account in conjunction of course with setting the above information to mycompanyname.com, etc.......but I canNOT receive email when using all verizon.net information including my verizon email address. incoming.verizon.net, and my verizon password.

Any other ideas??

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It should look like this 

EMAIL ADDRESS:  myemailname@mycompany.com

MAIL SERVER (INCOMING): mycompanyname.com

USER NAME:  myemailname

SMTP SERVER (OUTGOING):  outgoing.verizon.net (can receive only, see above)  port 587, no ssl, authentication as discussed earlier and most importantly your verizon username and password should go here.    

fingers crossed, and I am pretty sure I didn't forget anything.   

0 Likes
tanstaafl2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's no way to include a user name and password in the SMTP SERVER (OUTGOING) field - Eudora only wants a single URL.

But I think I found the way that Eudora does allow something like this - via "SMTP Relay" using "Personalities" - described here:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2107hq.html

Does that look like it will work?

I'll give it a try shortly.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that does look like it will work when I take a look at it at a glance.   

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

It will setup a default personality for you. I just made it work fine. I had to disable the test on the initial install and defining the account. Then verify the authentication settings after the software is installed.

Are you attempting to use this while connected to a Verizon connection? I have heard reports of connections being blocked when attempting to use Verizon's servers from outside their network. In which case you may be required to use webmail.verizon.net. Just set the webmail to leave messages on server so they can be retrieved from home.

Installed Eudora7 to help.

It will use the same username for sending. The first time you use the account it will ask if you wish to save the password.

I set my user name as name@verizon.net NOT JUST USERNAME

prisaz
Legend

Have you tried Thunderbird mail client. I like it much better than plain Windows Mail. I am running Office Outlook 2007 now.

tanstaafl2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally got the chance to try Eudora's SMTP relay...........and no luck.  I'm getting ready to tell Verizon to come disconnect my FIOS connection so I can go back to sending/receiving email without hassles on Time Warner Cable.

I'll be glad to accept any other ideas, otherwise it's going to be GOODBYE FIOS.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well I would set up a free gmail before I went back to time warner.  that seems like an aweful lot of work and phone time for email.  if you set up a free hotmail or yahoo or gmail email address it takes minutes, vs calling - cancelling, and then calling and setting up an appt, and then waiting around for them hook it up.

ya know? 

it may be the port 587.  so for example go daddy emails sometimes don't like 587 and they instead like port 80.   you really have to check with your domain name provider or your office and see which port they like using for smtp if 25 is not allowed.  every company should have an alternate port, and 587 is only a suggestion not a requirement.  

Thunderbird1

A casual user, like myself. can't change the server ports in Eudora 7 to match the new Verizon criteria of 995 for POP3 server and 465 for SMTP server.  There are two email client software programs that are similar to Eudora 7.1 and do have provision to change ports: Mozilla Thunderbird and Eudora OSE.  You might get the Thunderbird instillation file to automatically pick up the right Verizon info and also be able to list and access email originally saved or stored by Eudora 7.1.

0 Likes