I have a large number of devices in my home network and I would like to be able to setup the ability for them to send email alerts. The most important of all of those devices is the iDRAC on my server. I would like it to be able to send email alerts, for instance, if a drive goes bad. This actually used to work and I'm not entirely sure when it stopped, but I have a hunch it was when verizon transferred their mail service to AOL. (still shaking my head on that one). The DRAC config has not changed and is setup like:
userid and password are my gmail account
These settings used to work.
My guess is that FIOS is blocking ports like 587 and/or 25 and/or 465.
The options for configuring the iDRAC to send email are limited but I have tried all combinations using gmail.com and verizon.net and even smtp.aol.com using all ports that I could find.
There are numerous posts all over the web about others with similar issues and unfortunately they are old and may not be accurate anymore.
I need a way to relay emails from inside my home, especially in an iDRAC from Dell.
02-21-2018 07:53 PM - edited 02-21-2018 08:00 PM
To help your troubleshooting, I can say with 100% certantity that the issue is not port 587 being blocked. 25 is blocked, and has been since 2014. 587 or 465, however, are open.
Do you recall exactly when this issue started? Since you are using gmail's servers, Verizon's migration to AOL shouldn't have anything to do with it.
I had the same issue on one of our work's servers (with HP's iLO card), turns out we enabled 2 factor authentication, meaning our gmail SMTP logins were failing.
Also, check that you have "less secure apps" allowed to use your gmail account. Gmail recently started enforcing this, and is probably the reason you aren't getting emails. See here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
I'm not really sure when it started to fail but it seems like it was when verizon dumped their email to AOL. I know they aren't related but I was thinking maybe they started blocking more ports than they previously had at the same time. I have tried everything I can think of and no matter what, I can't get the iDRAC to be able to send emails anymore. I chcked the insecure apps and it was disabled. Two-factor is also disabled. My password for my email account definitely works. The only options in the drac are
SMTP Server name (smtpmail.gmail.com)
Enable authentication (enabled)
username (my gmail address)
password (my gmail password)
SMTP Port Number (587)
I'm not sure where else to look.
Make sure insecure app access is "enabled" and not "disabled".
Gmail would view the connection from the iDRAC as an "insecure app" so you have to make sure that you have allowed insecure app connections.
I verified that the "less secure apps" setting is enabled. I was also able to send an SMTP mail from within my home network by using switchmail so it looks like it definitely has something to do with how the iDRAC sends email. I did verify that if using port 587, TLS must be enabled (which makes sense) and I'm not sure the iDRAC has an option for TLS. Since port 25 is blocked, I'm not really sure I have a work around at this point.
FWIW, switchmail is a great app to test different SMTP options.
So after a lot of testing with about every option I can think of, which is all combinations of ports and SMTP mail providers, the problem definitely lies with the iDRAC 8. I have tried with both smtp.gmail.com and mail.smtp2go.com and neither work. I was able to successfully send SMTP mail using both gmail.com and smtp2go.com servers with swithmail.exe from inside my home network. I did find http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln283254/idrac7-does-not-support-smtp-authentication-w... that talks about 2 options in an idrac7 called “Start TLS” and “SASL authentication” but nowhere can I find documentation about how to verify these options are on or even if they really exist. I have looked through the drac manuals and also did a racadm get -f config.txt and nowhere in the config.txt does it have any options that look like “Start TLS” and “SASL authentication”. I also went as far as to factor reset my iDRAC to default settings but still no luck. There are several other people who have also had these issues and they mentioned changing the iDRAC network settings to match the email sender. I also tried about every combination I could think of. Still nothing.