FRUSTRATED: new email TIMES OUT in middle of composing a message
toddpop1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I generally like this new email option. My gripe is with the TIME OUTs that I get hit with.

I will be in the middle of replying to someone- and it is not a long reply, maybe 4 sentences- and when I hit SEND, I get a message saying that my account has timed out. I have to go back and try to hurry up and get the message composed much more quickly, or I end up saving as a draft after every line I type.

I have looked to see if there is any account settings that I can change that will affect this, but have not seen any.

HELP!!!!!

Re: FRUSTRATED: new email TIMES OUT in middle of composing a message
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There are no settings you can change to modify the timeout. The timeout is to protect people who leave their email up and walk away. It will log the screen out after a period of time. I suggest people who have this trouble to type their letter in a word document, or use an email client (outlook, mac mail, windows mail, thunderbird, etc).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Q: I spent a long time composing a message in WebMail, and it was lost when I tried to send it. What happened?

A: Your session timed out. The WebMail server maintains a "session" with your browser, but the session eventually times out if WebMail detects no activity between the browser and the server. When you are composing or reading a message, you are interacting only with your browser, not the WebMail server. If this takes more than several minutes, the session will time out automatically. WebMail does this to conserve resources on the server, and also as a security measure in case you forget to log out on a public-use machine.

To prevent your session from timing out, especially when you are composing mail messages, display your INBOX in the main WebMail window. The INBOX is refreshed automatically every few minutes, which has the effect of keeping your session active.

Another option is to compose your email message in the text editor provided by the operating system:

Windows = Notepad Mac OS 9 = SimpleText Mac OS X = TextEdit

When you finish composing your message, cut and paste it into your WebMail message. This way, you can make sure that your message is exactly the way you want it without worrying about WebMail timing out on you. If you use a word processor like Microsoft Word, be aware that the message may lose its formatting when you cut and paste it. Your text editor should copy and paste the message exactly the way you want it to.

http://web.mit.edu/is/isnews/v19/n01/190108.html

This is pretty similiar from webmail to webmail,    the above info gives you an idea why it happens, and what the best practices are, if it is an issue for you. 
oceanwve
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem and it's more than frustrating.  Beginning to be bad enough that I'm considering dropping Verizon.  System should not time out after only a few minutes.  This is a new problem with Verizon, so a system change must have been done recently.  It's time to admit a mistake (as Netflix and Bank of America have recently done) and kgo back to the 'old' system.

toddpop1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that  20 seconds while composing a message is WAY TOO SHORT for this service to "time out'" I can understand 5 minutes, but 20 seconds is MADDENING to most people. I know it is 20 seconds because I have timed it multiple times, and this is my average result. I find this result on both my home Macbook and my work Win XP laptop. Composing a 3 line reply in a word processor is burdensome and clunky.If you want to provide SERVICE to your CUSTOMERS, please listen to them and respond to their requests with a fix for this "enhancement".

ColorfulPsychic

I totally agree.  This can't be a big deal to fix.  Please fix it!!!!

0 Likes
Wstar3

This is a significant fault and one that could lead to fatal losses. This needs to be changed soon or

people will need to change to another service. This can't be easier to fix. Perhaps give the consumer a choice how long to wait? 

It is enough already. You charge exhorbitant rates, you have a staff on hand to fix it. FIX IT.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is 11:29 and I'm beginning to compose an email...started from the Inbox of AolMail

on purpose I will go away  for awhile

It is now 11:47 and I'm going to complete sending this email to myself at VZ

Message sent from AolMail to VZ Inbox successfully.

Note: My account has not been migrated to AolMail ….I created an account in anticipation of migration.

Hope I can do same AFTER migration.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

People, this thread is from 2011!!!!! It has no bearing on the new AOL Mail migration.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes