Geovision suddenly can't connect to SMTP server outgoing email
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

My security NVR outgoing email suddenly quit sending email last Friday (it sends picts when someone approaches front door).  Was working for months with no issues before.

Nothing was changed in the setup - SMTP server, port, authentication all same. Reinstalled Geovision software and renewed to new IP, reset router all tried.

Spoke to Verizon and rep checked and said nothing was blocked from their end as I'm able to send and receive emails through web based and outlook email.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Geovision suddenly can't connect to SMTP server outgoing email
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Geovision outgoing fixed now with the help of Geovision here and in Taiwan.  Here is the transcript:

"HQ was able to use the attached patch to get your email alerts working again. The two instructions for using the patch are as follows:

1.    Unzip Common.zip

2.    Copy and replace GeoMail.dll and GeoMail.ini to C:\GV-NVR folder

But HQ asks that you please take note of the GeoMail.ini file in the patch:

There is a line in GeoMail.ini, BanishCRamMD5=1. The value 1 is to ban MD5 and allows Verizon email account to send the email.

If the customer is using Gmail and other email accounts, he has to change the value from 1 to 0, BanishCRamMD5=0.” "

You have to contact them to email you the patch as I don't know how to post here.  It basically adds 1 line and replaces another in Geo software.  I'm sure other security NVR programs with Verizon will have the same issue of outgoing email as I just discovered another NVR with same problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There was a change as to how they accept outbound SMTP,  The solution that was provided for Eudora will point you in the correct direction.

I am unsure how to make that change on your system software.

Solved! Go to Solution.

0 Likes
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes I already upgraded to the new incoming and outgoing server settings couple of months ago. Fact that it worked until last Friday suspects me to believe that issue is not at my end. Thank you for the suggestion..
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This fix is seperate from the pop.verizon and smtp.verizon

This is an advanced setting having to do with SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 line in your settings.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

your problem might be different.

Geovision DVR Kit Transcript:

CCTV Customer: I am currently using geovision v8.2 and am trying to setup email alerts. Is it possible to setup an outgoing email account in Geovision that requires SSL authentication? Have you ever setup a system for someone who was using either comcast, gmail, or yahoo as their outgoing SMTP server?

Geovision Support: Hi CCTV Customer. I have only set this up a few times and each time I used the open SMTP relay on our dedicated server. I know you must have access to an open relay for it to work. If that relay supports SSL auth, you should be fine though I have never used it.

CCTV Customer: Hmms, is the SMTP relay apart of Windows?

Geovision Support: SMTP relay just means that you have access to send mail through an SMTP server. Yes you could run one on windows.

CCTV Customer: So I would basically configure the SMTP relay to forward mails to my actual email's SMTP outgoing server, and then configure GeoVision to send alerts to the SMTP relay?

Geovision Support: not necessarily. If comcast has an smtp server that you can use, you can just connect to it directly

CCTV Customer: Hmms, thats what I thought initially. However, Comcast (along with Gmail & Yahoo) requires SSL authentication to connect to the SMTP outbound server. In my version of Geovision, it's telling me that SSL is not supported.

Geovision Support: if comcast does not allow an open relay for you, you either need to find a service provider that does or you can set up your own.

Geovision Support: I see. I was just double checking. I do not see any SSL support on Geovision.

Geovision Support: Hmmm, SMTP mail service CCTV Camera Pros should provide for our Geovision customers to use. It seems like most ISPs do not have open SMTP relays available or it is trouble to access it. Anyway, I am sorry I do not have a short term solution for you except finding a provider that does not require SSL for SMTP.

does that sound familiar, or does your unit supprt SSL for SMTP?

as a test I enabled and disabled ssl on my outlook and I can't send email with SSL turned off, but I can when it is turned on.

I am wondering if in addition to the above SMTP rule for the MD5, if Verizon also disabled the non SSL email's?

If others on here could test that would tell us.

jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I'm running the newest ver of Geo V 8.5.9.0 that supports SSL in SMTP server (you can check or uncheck).

In Geovision email setup page, I'm running SMTP Mail Server requires authentication checked and SMTP Port 465 SSL checked as required by Verizon.  I stumped why it just suddenly stop working.

I'm pretty sure Verizon requires SSL checked for their email. I think the solution has to do with what Verizon changed in their servers a couple of days before causing the authentication errors.

Hubrisnxs- thank you for pointing me to a general direction- I'm going to look into authentication issues now.

0 Likes
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I think it has to do with adding:

SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5

But where do I add it since I'm not on Eudora?

0 Likes
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Geovision outgoing fixed now with the help of Geovision here and in Taiwan.  Here is the transcript:

"HQ was able to use the attached patch to get your email alerts working again. The two instructions for using the patch are as follows:

1.    Unzip Common.zip

2.    Copy and replace GeoMail.dll and GeoMail.ini to C:\GV-NVR folder

But HQ asks that you please take note of the GeoMail.ini file in the patch:

There is a line in GeoMail.ini, BanishCRamMD5=1. The value 1 is to ban MD5 and allows Verizon email account to send the email.

If the customer is using Gmail and other email accounts, he has to change the value from 1 to 0, BanishCRamMD5=0.” "

You have to contact them to email you the patch as I don't know how to post here.  It basically adds 1 line and replaces another in Geo software.  I'm sure other security NVR programs with Verizon will have the same issue of outgoing email as I just discovered another NVR with same problem.

0 Likes