Has anyone successfully set up SSL email in thunderbird?
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

https for verizon in thunderbird more trouble than it's worth.
[connecting via dsl, not fios]

It may be  that I have a more complicated than usual proxy situation - I already do a lot of online work on secure and anonymizing networks. Still, when after ignoring verizon's instructions for some months I finally got around to reconfiguring thunderbird for https I found it not to be helpful, though I do use SSL TB successfully on non-verizon servers. I have two questions:

* For how long will I be able to continue with ports 110 & 25?

* has anyone been able to reconfigure thunderbird and log on successfully without having to go through the extra steps I describe here? -

Resetting to SSL ports as instructed, but not switching out of "system proxy settings", I was unable to connect. What I had to do was manually set to the proxy that I use for my secure network and then invoke that network in order to receive and send mail. This is a great bother, as well as probably reducing overall security when I actually need it. I'm really curious to know if anyone has actually successfully reset thunderbird by following only the directions given by verizon. thanks for any feedback - eda

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Has anyone successfully set up SSL email in thunderbird?
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

@eda wrote:

@somegirl wrote:

Forum user Justin posted the settings he is successfully using for Thunderbird here.

No, Justin, al you shwe there is the account settings, which we appreciate but already know. What is your network proxy setting in Options?

IMO, it is the account settings that people have set incorrectly. I have no clue why you want to see what I have in my Proxy setting, but here it is:

[use system proxy]

No magic here......

Keller, TX 76248

Thanks, that's what I thought. Many perople besides myself who use that default proxy with the (obvious) SSH account settings over dsl cannot connect, and have to drop back to http. (It can be made to work with a manual setting, but I think that would be different for different users, so not convenient.) It's not a problem for me, as I've got other ways to connect securely. I do think, though, that the problem is with verizon, not the users. - eda

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lmatnme1

Yes, I have several email accounts working fine. What version of Thunderbird are you using?

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lmatnme wrote:

Yes, I have several email accounts working fine. What version of Thunderbird are you using?

Ver 8.0. in vista x64. should've mentioned that, TB 8 seems to be cranky about a number of things that worked in earlier versions.

0 Likes
lmatnme1

I to am running V8. Here are my settings. I have 7 email accounts setup the same way and all are working. My problems are with my Droid X email.....

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

> lmatnme wrote:

> I to am running V8. Here are my settings. I have 7 email accounts setup the same way and all are working.

> My problems are with > y Droid X email.....

Can you go to Tools > Options > Network... > Settings and let me know what proxy setting your TB is using? Thanks - eda

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Forum user Justin posted the settings he is successfully using for Thunderbird here.

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look, the account settings that verizon is asking for is obvious. It doesn't help knowing that some users have set them successfully unless we also know the Netork proxy setting on your machine (look in Options > Network... > Settings)

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@somegirl wrote:

No, Justin, al you shwe there is the account settings, which we appreciate but already know. What is your network proxy setting in Options?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@eda wrote:

@somegirl wrote:

IMO, it is the account settings that people have set incorrectly. I have no clue why you want to see what I have in my Proxy setting, but here it is:

No magic here......

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

@eda wrote:

@somegirl wrote:

[use system proxy]

No magic here......

Keller, TX 76248

Thanks, that's what I thought. Many perople besides myself who use that default proxy with the (obvious) SSH account settings over dsl cannot connect, and have to drop back to http. (It can be made to work with a manual setting, but I think that would be different for different users, so not convenient.) It's not a problem for me, as I've got other ways to connect securely. I do think, though, that the problem is with verizon, not the users. - eda

0 Likes