How do I handle SPAM in new AOL that is not SPAM via Outlook 2016?
quilt191

I have decided to keep my @verizon.net 4 email accounts and continue to use them with Outlook 2016 as POP3.

My problem is that AOL is automatically placing many non-SPAM emails into the AOL-Webmail SPAM folder, and in this case, they never get downloaded into my offline Outlook 2016.

Here are my questions:

1) If I see a non-SPAM mesage in the AOL-Webmail SPAM folder and right click to mark it as Not Spam, it does automatically get moved into the AOL-Webmail Inbox and then downloaded into my Outlook 2016.  But does the AOL-Webmail remember that it should AUTOMATICALLY from now on allow any further messages from the same email address to bypass SPAM and go into the Inbox?

2) If no for #1, how can I set this up that it does?   What I have done is after the email (which was adjusted by me to be Non-SPAM in AOL-Webmail) is downloaded into Outlook 2016, I then add the sender of that email to my Safe List (of Outlook 2016).  Will that the force AOL-Webmail to pass it into Inbox in the future so that it gets downloaded into my Outlook 2016?

3) I try to refrain from not blocking complete domains via Outlook 2016, except in rare cases like @paypal.com or @eBay.com and so on.   So I would still prefer to somehow allow inidivudal emails to marked safe.  

4) Basically, I need to know if the AOL-Webmail automatic SPAM filter can be somehow adjusted via the "over-rides" of Outlook 2016 settings?

5) Worst case, if I cannot control it, how can I setup that my Outlook 2016 downloads ALL emails that are put into the SPAM folder of AOL-Wembail into an Outlook 2016 SPAM folder?  I just don't knowif its possible to setup.

All your help is really appreciated! 

0 Likes
Re: How do I handle SPAM in new AOL that is not SPAM via Outlook 2016?
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

1) If I see a non-SPAM mesage in the AOL-Webmail SPAM folder and right click to mark it as Not Spam, it does automatically get moved into the AOL-Webmail Inbox and then downloaded into my Outlook 2016.  But does the AOL-Webmail remember that it should AUTOMATICALLY from now on allow any further messages from the same email address to bypass SPAM and go into the Inbox?

Create a filter ...Send it to Inbox.

0 Likes
quilt191

Can you please elaborate on how to do so?  Sorry but I need all the help you or others can provide.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

AOL EMAIL OPTIONS

After Migration

Sign in to your Email

On FAR RIGHT click on : OPTIONS>>Mail Settings

Choose from:

General

Compose

Spam Settings

Recent Activity

Filters and Alerts....Create a Filter

Calendar

AIM

Ads

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

0 Likes
quilt191

Thanks Tom - I again appreciate your help BUT

I don't know how I need to setup the actual filter itself (which logic to use).

Sorry for the misundertsanding on where I need the help, which I still do.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Create a Filter

There is a limit of 50 filters. Please delete a filter before creating a new one.

If this is the case ….Then you have to:

Edit filter

Look for incoming messages matching all of the following:

From Enter an email address

Move to folder: Inbox

0 Likes
quilt191

Tom, again thanks.

So basically, I am limited to up to 50 email addresses that I can "force forward" into the Inbox?  Or am I allowed to add multiple addresses (separated by comma or semicolon) into ONE filter entry?

If it's only up to 50, that doesn't sound much if the AOL SPAM keeps acting the way it is and blocking normal emails...

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

My personal experience since migration is that my Spam folder has not "collected"

anything other than what I consider spam.

I have folders such as Promotions,Receipts etc and I use the filters to move(legitimate emails say for ex from Best Buy) them into those folders. Every so often I completely empty those folders.

0 Likes
holyearth

I don't understand WHY verizon would move us to AOL which is RIDDLED with SPAM!!! At least let us move to yahoo!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many of us had less spam via AOL.  And they are more responsive to reports of spam, then Verizon's third party spam filter supplier has been in recent years.

0 Likes