How do I relay email through Verizon
jlight1

I'm trying to send outbound email from a mail server I host at home. It's my understanding that I can relay my outgoing email if I authenticate to the Verizon mail server. I've tried multiple times but always get: Server error: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay'

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Depending on where you look it up, some sites say I have to go to outgoing.verizon.net, others say I have to go to smtp.verizon.net. Some say I need to use port 25, others port 465 or 587. I've tried all of these combinations with no luck. All the posts about this I can find seem pretty old.

0 Likes
Re: How do I relay email through Verizon
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can only "relay" as your Verizon email id.  What are you trying to do?

Current settings are at http://www.verizon.com/emailsettings

Essstially

SMTP to smtp.verizon.net port 476 using SSL

POP to pop.verizon.net port 995 usins SSL

0 Likes
jlight1

I don't think it's the case you can only relay mail using your Verizon email address.  It's my understanding that you can host your own email domain and server as long as you authenticate to the Verizon SMTP server to send outbound mail.  That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

A few things are important to know. 

Verizon dynamic ip addresses are all blacklisted on the spam hosts.   

Verizon only blocks outbound port 25.

You don't have to authenticate with them unless your hosting email servers behind a dynamic ip. 

So knowing that. If you are hosting behind a static ip then the field is clear just avoid port 25.

If your dynamic then you'll find your ip on sorbs, spamhaus and other blacklists.  That means you have to use "someone"  to relay from. 

Relaying means you are using their server settings.    

If you use verizon then your pop settings are whatever your domain host settings are.   Your smtp settings are described above but using your verizon I'd and pw to authenticate. 

If your domain host has set settings then you can use them as long as you don't use port 25.

0 Likes
jlight1

Right, the "someone" I'm planning to use for a relay is Verizon, but when I try I get "Server error: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay.'"  Since my outbound email would be through the Verizon mail server, it shouldn't get marked as spam beause their server isn't on the Sorbs list -- only the dynamic IP address ranges for residential use are.  Verizon tech support has told me what I'm trying to do is a supported configuration but I haven't been successful.  I suspect I might be using the wrong port, but mail server to mail server communication is normally done over port 25.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you're doing port 25, then yes you're using the wrong port

So use this config

smtp.verizon.net

My server requires authentication   (not the same as SPA, spa stays unchecked)

Your VZ User name and Password (make sure they are good by signing in at www.verizon.net)

Port 465 and use SSL

0 Likes
jlight1

I am able to switch the port to 465, but Exchange doesn't seem to allow me to require SSL.  I can require TLS, but haven't found a way to require SSL.  If I use port 465 and TLS I still get "Server error: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay.'"  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well I don't have a lot of experience with exchange, I did dig this up rather quickly though.  So try to use the wizard to install the ssl cert. 

if not, go to msexchange forums, you would probably find someone more familiar with exchange.

Try this

1. In Exchange System Manager, right-click the virtual server, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Access tab, and then click Certificate.

3. Follow the instructions in the wizard, using the guidelines in online help to request and install the SSL certificate.

I Also found these instructions, they might be more what you need.  Give both a try. 

TLS won't work

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

ya know, I took for granted that Verizon.net is an open relay,  I am not so sure it is now.

I put it in over at mxtoolbox and I Get this, so I am not sure this is going to work over exchange.    

SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner  More Info
SMTP TLS Warning - Does not support TLS.  More Info
SMTP Transaction Time 15.210 seconds - Not good! on Transaction Time  More Info
SMTP Banner Check OK - 206.46.232.11 resolves to relay.verizon.net  
SMTP Connection Time 0 seconds - Good on Connection time  
SMTP Open Relay OK - Not an open relay.
0 Likes
jlight1

I appreciate your help.  I don't think your first solution is correct, my server shouldn't need a certificate to make an SSL connection to Verizon's SMTP server, it's Verizon's server that has the certificate.

The Instructions link you posted is exactly what I've tried.  If you look at step 5 in the link, there's no option to use SSL.  But I don't think that's the issue since the error message says no relay.  

Your MXtoolbox shows Verizon's not an *open* relay, but I'm a Verizon customer and use my Verizon credentials to log on.  That's supposed to be a supported configuration.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes