That's why I didn't attempt it. I was afraid of that happening. When my email stops completely without my doing anything, then I will call Verizon support and let them guide me through the steps I need to undertake. If it gets screwed up, I will simply close down my 2 verizon.net email accounts. Plenty of other trouble free choices out there.
You got further than me; when I went to change the outgoing server on my iPad, I entered all the changes and clicked done but it never "Verified" the server. I ended up quitting the Settings app in the multitask bar which reverted my settings back.
I agree with the other guy who said he'll just wait until his email stops working then call support.
I have Outlook 2013 and changed my settings and the same thing happened - couldn't send or receive emails. After re-reading the email it only applies to OutlookExpress; MS Outlook, Windows Live Mail. If you are not using these programs then you don't need to make the changes.
I too received the email to change the email settings. Good Doo-bee that I am, I did so. And the changes need to be done on ALL email programs including Apple. Eventually if the settings are not changed, your program will not work.
Now the Apple email program no longer can send emails out. After 2 hours of trying, I phoned Verizon. The agent was very nice, did everything he could, looked up all he could, outsourced to another. Still cannot send emails. Conclusion: it's a problem with Apple software. Contact Apple. I explained that I don't buy that excuse since it only happened after I made the changes. Still the agent insist, it's a software problem with Apple. The end. So now, in order to send email, I must go on line to the web-based email. And we all know what a joy - NOT - that program is to work with.
I have MAC appliances and was able to install the updates but had to do several things to make it work (that i hadn't done before):
make all the requested changes to server names and PORT settings (on the Macs you have to follow the Advanced tabs to do that)
Follow the sub instructions:
I had to check Password several times - both the incoming and outgoing are checked.
had to change the server ports for both.
Make sure you have up to date passwords entered.
Had to enable SSL.
MOST importantly: had to restart the device to make it work!!
then mail showed up!