If your Outlook Email account suddenly keeps asking for password read this message
NHYankee1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several years ago I had set up our jointly used computer via Outlook 2007 with two separate Verizon email accounts, one for me, one for my wife. As my wife stated to use the computer more frequently to insure peace and harmony I purchased a laptop so this is now the computer only my wife uses. I made her email account the default and disabled mine from the Send/Receive function but I left it there, just in case.

As the home system administrator I had made the Verizon requested account changes to the ports and SSL settings a few months ago . Life was good until two days ago when my wife told me her Outlook email account kept failing. I found it  was a failing to connect to the server. It kept asking for her password. When I tested my account with EXACTLY the same Verizon settings it worked just fine. I used her password to log in to her Verizon account so I knew it was not a Verizon password issue. I suspected an Outlook password storage issue but when I set her account up as a new account on my laptop and got the same failure I knew it was not computer specific so could not be an Outlook issue. I was baffled, two accounts with the same settings using the same Outlook software, one worked, one did not.

The solution; after trying many things I finally got her account to work by changing her account server settings from incoming to pop and outgoing to smtp as specified by Verizon a while back (my bad for missing that step I guess).  I have now changed the server settings in all accounts to pop and smtp and all is well. I have no idea why one account worked with incoming and outgoing while the other failed but I do know all my Outlook accounts are now in FULL compliance with ALL changes specified by Verizon in the following link.

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/12...

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If your Outlook Email account suddenly keeps asking for password read this message
LimeyDi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to spell out specific details ... I have Windows 10 and a verizon.net account (now handled via aol... talk about back to the future, i left aol about 12 yyears ago or more ...) and suddenly I ot an utlook popup after every time i hit send ... turned out the outgoing server settings (465 and SSL) which were in the instructions i received needed to be changed to the ones you kindly provided and now - problem solved. Thank you very much.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: If your Outlook Email account suddenly keeps asking for password read this message
clarksburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have the same issues using MS Outlook 2007 except that I changed all the setting to update the servers according to Verizon’s instructions and it still does not allow me to send or receive email.  All server tests fail and I am not able to send or receive email using Outlook 2007 regardless of what the settings are (new or previous).  Funny thing is that I have another account running on the same MS Outlook 2007 and that has the old server settings and is working just fine.  The issue as I understand it from Verizon tech support is that Verizon is moving email addresses to the new severs (25,000 at a time I think they told me) and once it's moved, it may or may not work again.  Verizon tech support was unable to help me and told me that Outlook 2007 was not compatible with the new server settings.  So I tried my account on Outlook 2010, same results.  I recall seeing a post on another blog where the user had Verizon recreate his email account for him and that resolved the issue.  The tech I spoke to did not offer that as a solution, perhaps he was unaware. As of this time I am relegated to using web mail 😞

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@clarksburg wrote:

I too have the same issues using MS Outlook 2007 except that I changed all the setting to update the servers according to Verizon’s instructions and it still does not allow me to send or receive email.  All server tests fail and I am not able to send or receive email using Outlook 2007 regardless of what the settings are (new or previous).  Funny thing is that I have another account running on the same MS Outlook 2007 and that has the old server settings and is working just fine.  The issue as I understand it from Verizon tech support is that Verizon is moving email addresses to the new severs (25,000 at a time I think they told me) and once it's moved, it may or may not work again.  Verizon tech support was unable to help me and told me that Outlook 2007 was not compatible with the new server settings.  So I tried my account on Outlook 2010, same results.  I recall seeing a post on another blog where the user had Verizon recreate his email account for him and that resolved the issue.  The tech I spoke to did not offer that as a solution, perhaps he was unaware. As of this time I am relegated to using web mail 😞

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Outlook 2007 should work. Can you post a screenshot of your settings (with any personal info removed/obscured) so the forumers can take a look?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

In particular make sure you are using YAHOO servers if your email is offered using the Yahoo interface https://help.yahoo.com/kb/verizon/mail-for-desktop/pop-server-settings-verizon-yahoo-mail-sln4724.ht... ,

and "vanilla" Verizon settings http://verizon.com/emailsettings otherwise.

0 Likes
jfcjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem been happening with me for a few months now, Outlook 2010, 2013 keeps asking for a password.

Verizon tech support is sh*t.

0 Likes
ursa99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue here with Outlook 2007.  I think this is an issue with the VZ servers having a problem with the log on required to download mail.  If I had to guess the server is overloaded if they are doing some sort of conversion.  Mine will work sometimes and sometimes it won't.  This has been going on for a few days.  Please resolve this or at least let us know why it's happening. When this first occured about a year ago I wasted a lot of time reinstalled my Outlook client and the problem was still there.  This time I will wait it out until Verizon comes out of their lair to tell us what is going on.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with Mac OS X 10.11.4 and Outlook 15.21.1. It keeps asking for the password, I use pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net, deleted the keychain entry and still get the message that the password or user name is wrong. I don't know what else to do!

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

All I can say is that the settings in the attachment  below have been working for me  since I switched to Windows 10 Pro.

Hope it helps those of you with a similar setup.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wondered why Server Port 587 is working for me... so I Googled it and came across this

http://www.serversmtp.com/en/port-587

0 Likes
LimeyDi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to spell out specific details ... I have Windows 10 and a verizon.net account (now handled via aol... talk about back to the future, i left aol about 12 yyears ago or more ...) and suddenly I ot an utlook popup after every time i hit send ... turned out the outgoing server settings (465 and SSL) which were in the instructions i received needed to be changed to the ones you kindly provided and now - problem solved. Thank you very much.

0 Likes