Re: Important Changes to Email POP/SMTP
alim

Having same issue on my MacBook; spent 1 hr on chat with support. They agent wiped out my passwords so I could create new ones. Now the "new" password isn't working and I can't get into my email at all.

0 Likes
semb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Obviously there are a lot of people confused, upset or hesitant about impementing this change; and, for a lot of people it isn't working. For this kind of change, Verizon should send out an email announcing a change and direct its customers to log into their MyVerizon account to view the details. That would eliminate the fear that it might be a malicious email. Also, with a lot of people having trouble with the change, Verizon should do more testing (assuming they did any testing) and delay the change if necessary.

Justin46
Legend

The notice is there, yes it is 1 1/2 months old; what do you want Verizon to do, post a new message every day? That would be silly IMO. Just because the information in the notice is 1 1/2 months old, it says exactly what is said in the email you just received, why would you or anyone else not believe it? I just don't understand. And I explained why I think verizon stages changes like this, and why the emails/notifications roll out over time and not to everybody at once.

What else is there to say?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

We have notified Verizon admins that the changes are an issue with some users. Hopefully someone will be able to post an update later this evening.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@troytyson wrote:

I made this update on my iPod, and now when I go to check my e-mail, I get the following message: "Cannot Get Mail The mail server "pop.verizon.net" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I was able to check my mail earlier today with no problem (before making the change).  The only settings I changed were "pop.verizon.net" in place of "incoming.verizon.net" and "smtp.verizon.net" in place of "outgoing.verizon.net"

Please advise.  Thank you.

I do not have an iPod (or any i.... anything Smiley Very Happy ) so I cannot give you any specifics, but there are three changes needed on all devices using an email client, as described in the email and the notice on the webiste:

1) Change the server names

2) Change the ports

3) Change the SSL settings

It will not work if you do not do all three.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
suppportnotgood

I too received the email to change the email settings.  Good Doo-bee that I am,  I did so.  And the changes need to be done on ALL email programs including Apple.  Eventually if the settings are not changed, your program will not work.

Now the Apple email program no longer can send emails out.  After 2 hours of trying, I phoned Verizon.  The agent was very nice, did everything he could, looked up all he could, outsourced to another.  Still cannot send emails.  Conclusion: it's a problem with Apple software.  Contact Apple.  I explained that I don't buy that excuse since it only happened after I made the changes.  Still the agent insist, it's a software problem with Apple.  The end.  So now, in order to send email, I must go on line to the web-based email.  And we all know what a joy - NOT - that program is to work with.

0 Likes
djosephs

I need a genius, please.

My wife got the Verizon message on her iPhone about changing the POP settings. 

However, Verizon didn't say where to change those POP settings.  Or how.  

As far as I know, POP settings may be on my television set or underneath the transmission of my automobile.

Help, please.

Many thanks in advance.

David

0 Likes
markwilk

It's legitimate, but when I made the changes my email stopped working. So I went back to the old settings and everything works so what's going on

0 Likes
InspectorT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

{please keep your posts courteous}

The email instruction is INCORRECT in many ways - there is NOTHING in the notifications area at the Verizon site; there is little in the forums area other than unfriendly remarks like yours and post-after-post about people having problems; I can't find any "I want to . . . " menu bar; the email in questions says it is sent to{edited for privacy}

All the foregoing is enough to make me, for one, very cautious about following the instructions.

And why on earth would Verizon stage changes like this? There is no legitimate reason to do so, and it certainly is not industry practice.

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
IzzBees
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone with AT&T phone service but my email service is my home verizon.net.....service.  I got the notice yesterday to change the server incoming and outgoing name and ports and SSL to ON... "on select mobile devices"..   This is maybe my problem. I made the changes and now have zero email on my iPhone.  My settings were already changed on my home email account which I have forgotten that I even did that and when..     The iPhone may not be one of the select mobile devices... anyone know the answer to that?

-Mitch  "IzzBees"..

Pittsburgh/Whitehall boro

0 Likes