Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account
cmanfishin

I just received this in my inbox and not sure if it legit or not, please advise. I havenot accessed any of the links yet.

Thanks

Dear Verizon Internet Customer,

At Verizon, we continue our efforts to enhance your online experience as well as ensure ongoing security for our Internet customers. As a result, Verizon Online has modified the way email is handled when sent or received through an email application other than MyVerizon.

If you only use MyVerizon to access your email account, no action is required and you may disregard this email. If you do, however, use other applications to access your Verizon email, such as Outlook Express®, you will need to modify your email settings to take advantage of enhanced security we now offer.

In order to make these modifications, please visit http://verizon.com/emailsettings for information about the email settings you need to update. Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum at http://forums.verizon.com/.

Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer and we encourage you to act now to ensure your email account has the proper settings on a going-forward basis.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

0 Likes
Re: Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account
tns
Master - Level 2

Its legit, Lots of talk about it.  However just in case someone is faking copies of the real message, don't click on the links.  Instead type in the verizon addresses mentioned.  Another board member, Justin, has also posted some nice examples of how to configure several of the popular emails clients.

I, for one, configured my email for my machines as soon as someone posted that Verizon was enabling SSL many months ago.  Really important on laptops where you connect through other, often unsecured, networks.

rwhite5

The notification may be legit but the changes DO NOT WORK only the default port settings work.  It would be nice it Verizon would have the courtesy of stating when the changes will be required AND making sure that they work before screwing all of their customers... oh I forgot, customer satisfaction is not a driving value for Verizon.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@rwhite wrote:

The notification may be legit but the changes DO NOT WORK only the default port settings work.  It would be nice it Verizon would have the courtesy of stating when the changes will be required AND making sure that they work before screwing all of their customers... oh I forgot, customer satisfaction is not a driving value for Verizon.

Actually, the changes work just fine, and have been working for months. If configured improperly they won't work, but that's the case with any settings. If your security software is interfering they won't work, but that your software, not Verizon's servers.

0 Likes
kelstonb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would love to know what "security" software I happen to be running which intermittently causes the inability to receive email through Thunderbird but allows me to send email. That must be some god awful security software that randomly allows me to receive email and then becomes bipolar and decides to only allow me a successful connection to incoming.verizon.net and do nothing while allowing full access to sending email. After all, security software is supposed to prevent infection and prevent propagation of an infection. Not randomly allow infection (thus randomly allowing full email access) while completely allowing propagation (full access to outgoing servers). Your defense of Verizon's screw up is on shaky ground.

Furthermore, as stated, using the default 110 non secure still works without issue.

No combination of the 995 SSL setting in Thunderbird will currently allow access despite the fact that it allowed access 2 hours ago.

Some "security" software. I guess I must have hit my head and installed something in the last two hours and just plum forgot!

0 Likes
SeniorGhost
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having the same problem right now and using Outlook Express.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Lots of reports since Yesterday 1/5 that they have broken SSL, which was working fine for those who configured it correctly.  In a Online Chat I had with them earlier this morning they acknowledged the problem.

Temporarily fix switch back to SMTP 587, POP 110  and no SSL.  Once it is fixed you should be able to go back to SMTP 465, POP 995.  Note these pop settings are actually the defaults for SSL, and non-SSL.

0 Likes
olson10736
Enthusiast - Level 1

45 min. on hold and all V. could say is 'we are having problems with ssl sockets.'    Had to switch back to 110in/25out, no author. and incoming mail was delivered.     Thanks for wasting an hour.   Oh, the sockets might be fixed 'later today' and then I'll need to reconfigure setting again.   Verizon: to big --- it will fail.

0 Likes
Re: Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account (good on Outlook, no good on iPhone)
JoeH2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had no trouble at all implementing this on Outlook.  However it would not take on the iPhone 4 (it seemed to take for a short while but then stopped working and today would not work at all.  So for the iPhone I'm back to the old incoming port setting of 110, no SSL, no verification, and got it back working again.

Intertesting to note that the Verizon website gives no information on smartphones, and the Verizon wireless website gives no information on verizon email settings.  Seems the two different parts of Verizon don't talk to each other.

0 Likes