Inbound SMTP for mail server?
ldd0zz5
Enthusiast - Level 2

How is inbound SMTP configured in the firewall, I imagine I'll need to do a forwarder as well? Is there a FAQ that covers this? Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Inbound SMTP for mail server?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ldd0zz5 wrote:

How is inbound SMTP configured in the firewall, I imagine I'll need to do a forwarder as well? Is there a FAQ that covers this? Thank you!

Can you clarify what it is that you are trying to set up?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

SMTP is for outgoing.  Pop is inbound.

Assuming you are using Verizon's email the recommended values are

pop (pop3) incoming.verizon.net, ssl security, port 995, password in clear text or apop

SMTP outgoing.verizon.net, ssl security, port 465, requires authentication, password in clear text or apop

ldd0zz5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an email server and an mx record setup, I need to allow inbound smtp traffic. 

P.S. I know about the limitations of a dynamic IP for this, I've worked around it.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

If you run a mail server, you should know what values your system needs or can support.

Note you could choice to use the popular values just as Verizon and many others do.  You are will not be able to use the older SMTP port (25) as many systems, including verizon block it.

Common used SMTP ports, actually MSA(Mail submission agent), are 587 (non-ssl) or 465 (SSL)  You will have to create some forwarding rules for your router.

Pop still usually is set as 110 (non-ssl) and 995 (SSL).  Again will probaly need forwardings rules for your router.

Different rules are used for IMAP.

Not sure how Verizon feels about non-business mail servers.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

port forwarding should not be needed unless you are forwarding to a server on your network.  normal emsil configuration should do just fine.   settings are outlined here and also at www.verizon.com/repair

0 Likes
ldd0zz5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you sure about Verizon blocking that port? I was told that they do not block any inbound ports (even 80, which is a common misconception). As far as knowing what ports I need since I have an email server, yes, I know exactly what I need to have, I just dont know how to set up a rule to allow inbound anything on Verizon'e router. That's all I'm looking for guidance on. Thx.

0 Likes
ldd0zz5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure why this is so confusing. i DO have a server internally. I need to allow inbound smtp and port forwarding to it. It's not like I'm running a busniess off of it. It's mostly for testing. Am I the first person to do this???

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So if you know what you need, then you also know that the residential service terms and conditions prohibit the running of an "server" on a residential connection ... 

And yes ... Verizon does block all port 25 traffic in either direction on the residential network.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
http://www.actiontec.com/howto/h2_detail.php?id=7&cat_id=3 Just configure your server to do port 587 or 80 instead of port 25 & then use the instructional to do the port forwarding.