Incoming spam filter question
really_bothered

I've used up all my filters they allow on the webmail page,  but I have noticed

A LOT of the spam comes from domains that end in  .info

If I could,  or if VERIZON could block these domains,  it would solve most of my SPAM problems.

the mark massage and click the SPAM button doesn't work.

0 Likes
Re: Incoming spam filter question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try gmail.  It has great spam filtering.

Good Luck.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can write a rule to mark from ids with ".info" to go to a seperate folder.  Waning however you may catch a few false positives.  e.g important.info.myfavoritesite.com

0 Likes
JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2

How else would I know about drugs available to solve problems I don't have, fix issues to genitals I don't have (F vs. M), or singles available in my area!  

SPAM takes 89% of my inbox messages. Winmail filters most but on cellphone FORGET ABOUT IT!

Just don't understand why "Bob" knows I have a computer virus and he is here from Software Solutions to remotely connect and resolve immediately FOR FREE!>>>??? REALLY?

@really_bothered wrote:

I've used up all my filters they allow on the webmail page,  but I have noticed

A LOT of the spam comes from domains that end in  .info

If I could,  or if VERIZON could block these domains,  it would solve most of my SPAM problems.

the mark massage and click the SPAM button doesn't work.

0 Likes
VZ_doesnt_care

Verizon has a serious problem with SPAM getting through their filters into my mailbox, and probably yours too.  Using SpamDetector has been worthless, having a chat or phone session with Verizon has not been helpful, and complaining to senior management has been useless.

I've been getting an increasing amount of SPAM and started to keep statistics.  For the past 8 days, I've received 618 SPAM emails in my Verizon inbox.  Verizon only caught 4 SPAMS with SpamDetector.  So Verizon's performance was 4 of 618 SPAMS were caught or 0.6%.  I configured Outlook to download my emails from Verizon.  Of the 614 emails, Outlook caught 584 and placed them in its "Junk E-mail" folder, and the other 30 showed up in my Outlook inbox.  So Outlook's performance was 584 of 614 SPAMS were caught or 95.1%.  Outlook is succeeding, Verizon is failing.

This is an apples to apples comparison since this is performance data against the exact same emails.  Verizon is failing on at least four fronts: 1) SpamDetector is doing a poor job.  2) Customer support has nothing else to suggest.  3) The competition is doing a much better job.  4) Senior Management is not responding to its customers or empirical data showing the competition is doing a much better job.

I did learn one thing though, and that is that Verizon is selling off its California landline business (including FIOS) to Frontier Communications, and this may be complete by the end of 2015.  So I doubt Verizon is going to spend any money or effort on its SPAM problem.  I think we as customers have been written off.  Verizon's focus will be in its wireless markets.

I don't plan on waiting for Frontier though.  I plan to move my email to a non ISP-specific provider and also drop Verizon's TV products once my contract is up.  I'll either go to cable or just web-based on-demand for video products.  I do expect to stay with Verizon's FIOS Ethernet for a while longer though.

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

As I posted in a similar thread on spam in this VZ forum I think I have discovered a great cloud based spam blocker called SpamDrain that so far has  been100% successful in catching the massive amounts of spam I receive daily.. You can read my post here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Can-you-block-IP-addresses-as-I-am-bombarded-by-spam-...

0 Likes
VZ_doesnt_care

I've been tracking and reporting Verizon SPAM statistics daily to a Verizon VP, but have not received a response.  The first graph is the total amount of SPAM reaching my Verizon inbox which SpamDetector has not caught.

I used Office's Outlook on my PC to download my email from Verizon.  The second graph has two plots.  One plot is the percent of SPAM emails caught by SpamDetector versus missed and shows up in my Verizon inbox.  As shown, SpamDetector does a horrible job at blocking SPAM from my inbox.  The other plot is the percent of SPAM in my inbox which Outlook does recognize as SPAM and places in it's "Junk E-mail" folder.  As shown, Outlook does a very good job at recognizing SPAM which Verizon misses.

Takeaways:

1) SpamDetector does a terrible job at keeping SPAM from Verizon customer inboxes.

2) Outlook does a vastly superior job than SpamDetector does at blocking SPAM

3) Not only have my calls and chats with only support been useless in reducing SPAM levels, but so has my tracking of this data and daily reporting to a Verizon VP.  I had hoped that a skip-level communication with senior management might better make them aware of problems their customers face which are unresolved that they might elsewise not hear about.  I had also assumed they would be interested in seeing how Verizon's performance compares with a competitor.  No such luck.

0 Likes
RE: Incoming spam filter question
VZ_doesnt_care

The totals for the SPAM's I have received in my charts of the above post for the past 23 days are:

1) SPAM caught by SpamDetector: 70

2) SPAM missed by SpamDetector and placed in my inbox: 1704

Thus Verizon's performance at catching SPAM is 70/(70+1704) = 3.9%

3) of the 1704 SPAMs which Verizon missed, Outlook processed them and placed 1545 in it's Junk E-mail folder

Thus Outlook's performance against the SPAM Verizon missed is 1545/1704 = 90.7%

So, Verizon catches 3.9% of SPAM, Outlook catches 90.7%.  What does that say about Verizon's performance against SPAM?  I call that failure.

0 Likes