Re: Intermittent Email Send Failures
MenotomyDave
Enthusiast - Level 1

My timeout is set to two minutes and the error occurs much sooner than that.

Other outgoing email servers do not have the same problem.

Thus I conclude that the problem is with Verizon's email server and

hope that they would acknowledge and do something about that.

David W.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MenotomyDave wrote:

My timeout is set to two minutes and the error occurs much sooner than that.

Other outgoing email servers do not have the same problem.

Thus I conclude that the problem is with Verizon's email server and

hope that they would acknowledge and do something about that.

David W.

They never will in this forum.  And since it works for most including the email client you are using, its still likely something odd in your configuration. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Just bump this thread up....this morning my problem sending has become worse.   I've been trying to send a message for an hour and keep getting this same message:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject xxxxx?'
Server: 'smtp.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

In the mean time, as has been said before, no problem at all sending messages using other SMTP servers on the same PC using the same copy of Windows Live Mail. 

Also, as further troubleshooting steps, I've found this morning that mail won't send through Verizon's SMTP server from a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, or an iPad.  No settings have changed on those devices since sending mail was working.

I also tried disconneting the Apple devices from our Verizon Internet connection to try to use the Verizon SMTP server through a different routing....via a at&t wireless connection.  Still no joy.

It seems as if the Verizon SMTP server(s) are completely down this morning, at least here in this part of Long Island.

0 Likes
JohnZ2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got off the phone with customer service.  They say that the email servers are down for maintenance until 10am Sunday!

First, this is a ridiculous amount of time to be down.  Second, I didn't see any notice about this.

This is no way to run a business.

I did notice that Webmail is still working.

Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

The smtp servers for some of the northern Virginia area must be down, too.

I can receive, but can't send.

And, like you, I can find no notice or notification of this anywhere on the MyVerizon or Verizon Support pages. 

I tried the link to the notification page, but there is nothing there about email server status.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@JohnZ wrote:

I just got off the phone with customer service.  They say that the email servers are down for maintenance until 10am Sunday!

First, this is a ridiculous amount of time to be down.  Second, I didn't see any notice about this.

Thanks for that.  I was reluctant to bang my head against the wall talking to tech support on the phone.

I'm hoping that when the maintenance is done the SMTP servers will be more reliable than they have been in the past.

FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

I am also experiencing intermittent send failures. I believe some responders are mentioning outgoing configuration but it escapes me how a configuration problem couild cause intermittent failures. In my case I have seen some authentication failures from a Nexus 7 Android tablet, and also just now a repeated send failure from Thunderbird on my Win 7 desktop (see screenshot). Please don't suggest that the sending device is too slow. Instead I hope someone from Verizon is monitoring this thread and is willing to get the responsible Verizon employees to investigate what IMHO is not your customers' fault, but rather Verizon's. My FiOS-based broadband is generally very reliable, but it seems to me that these sorts of problems need attention from the company receiving my $.

Thank you.

A few minutes later - check my outgoing settings in Thunderbird, found outgoing server was set to outgoing.verizon.net and updated to smtp.verizon.net. BUT sending mail STILL fails with same error.

0 Likes
katesavage2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this problem as well. It happened very suddenly as I did not have a problem before. Verizon is very expensive and to have an outage like this is very poor service indeed. 

@eljefe wrote:

@JohnZ wrote:

Thanks for that.  I was reluctant to bang my head against the wall talking to tech support on the phone.

I'm hoping that when the maintenance is done the SMTP servers will be more reliable than they have been in the past.

0 Likes
bandm1

Been having the same problems with sending messages using Thunderbird this morning.

Change you outgoing settings to

outgoing.verizon.net

Connection Security:  None

Port:  587

These are the only settings that seem to work for now.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It seems as if the default settings are working here once again.  Hopefully it will stay that way.

0 Likes