Intermittent problems receiving e-mail to my verizon.net account from senders at Yahoo web mail
Loone1
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past 2 weeks, people trying to e-mail me at my verizon e-mail account frequently -- but not always --  have the mail bounce back (with some delay) with the message:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<xxxx@verizon.net>

Mail server "verizon.net" unreachable for too long.

This has happened with multiple senders using Yahoo web-mail.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problems receiving e-mail to my verizon.net account from senders at Yahoo web mail
gjcoram
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.

I spent an hour on the "chat" with Verizon yesterday, at the end of which they said this is a "known issue" with Yahoo, and it's Yahoo's problem.

Concurrently, I sent a message to Yahoo, and they said, no, our servers are fine, it must be a problem at Verizon.

I sent 4 test messages from my Yahoo account to my Verizon account, and 1 got lost.  I'm waiting for the bounce, which always takes a day.

What's particularly odd is that after I sent that message (the one that got lost), I've sent other messages that went through; and I sent a message earlier yesterday morning to a different verizon.net address and got a bounce today, so I'd think that Yahoo doesn't do a good job of re-trying to send.

This has happened to me sporadically in the past; it seems to flare up for a few weeks and then work OK for a few months.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problems receiving e-mail to my verizon.net account from senders at Yahoo web mail
plmesq
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this has now gone on for three weeks!  Someone did something to the environment recently.  Both hard to believe and infuriating that this is happening again, but this was happening in December and this also happened about three years ago and about two years ago.  Unfortunately, I spent even longer than gjcoram on chat with them, 1-1/2 hours today! 

They swore they never heard of the problem for the first 1-1/4 hours, then after I repeatedly told them it is being discussed on blogospheres, they admitted it, but then promptly blamed Yahoo.  I have had a Yahoo email account for years and this never happened until Verizon started being used by friends and colleagues about three years ago and it never happens with any other domain to which I send emails.  Doesn't happen with gmail, aol, hotmail, yahoo, private domains, etc., etc.  They are refusing to do anything to make their environment consistent with everyone else's to prevent these bounce backs from happening.  Some very important emails have gone non-delivered.  I have friends/colleagues who missed receiving some information that caused them to do something they wouldn't have done had they received the information as intended.  Needless to say, they are extremely frustrated and ready to walk from Verizon and I am warning everyone I can to stay away from Verizon and I am becoming more vocal - both personally and electronically - after today.

0 Likes
dale5351
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing is happening to a friend of ours in Richmond, Va.  They say that sometimes their email to us using Yahoo is being rejected with Verizon Server not responding message.  Sometimes they can send again and it goes through. 

Very frustrating to them.

From the various threads I read hear there are a lot of fingers pointing at each other -- i.e both are blaming the other.  I don't care whose fault it is -- Just hope that verizon can work with Yahoo and figure it out.

0 Likes
Loone1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please also see the Subject

where the same issue is being discussed. 
0 Likes