Intermittent send failures in Outlook 2011 for MAC
subjockey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since Verizon changed its POP server settings, I am getting intermittent send failures from MS Outlook for MAC 2011 even though I made the correct port changes and SSL options in Outlook 2011.  Everywhere I look for assistance, including Microsoft, Apple and Verizon, no one has found anything wrong other than Microsoft suspects that Verizon's server doesn't like too many logins and passwords in a set period of time.  Apparently, every email that is sent, sends a User Name and Password to Verizon's server.  MS suspects that the server doesn't like that and rejects messages within a certain time period.  Furthermore, I cannot find any Verizon support for Outlook 2011 for the MAC!  Once again this is "intermittent" such as 4 messages will go and then the 5th will not.  If I leave it in the outbox, it will eventually send.  I'm not sure that MS's theory is fully correct because sometimes I get the send failures on the first message sent.  The error message says, "Outlook cannot find the server etc."  "Error Code: 3170".  All incoming messages come into Outlook 2011 correctly.  Does Verizon support Outlook 2011 for the MAC?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent send failures in Outlook 2011 for MAC
BigWes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re: Consistent alerts error 3170...and my settings are correct! HELP!

Options

‎12-19-2013 09:47 AM

I had the same issue.  After talking to a Verizon FIOS technician from thier techinical support center, he said that no changes are needed for Outlook for Mac.  That means the settings should be:

Incoming server: incoming.verizon.net

Incoming port: 110

Use SSL to connect: UNCHECKED

Outgoing server: outgoing.verizon.net

Outgoing port: 25

Hope that helps others not waste an hour searching Verizon's website and trying to navigate their massive phone tree to actually speak to a technician.

View solution in original post

Mrobi33
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem, here.  I just got off the phone with a tech, who is saying it's not a verizon issue, but to check with MS outlook or apple, have done both... no luck.  😞

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For 3170 try adjusting your timeout value in Outlook.  May or may not help.  Note things like antivirus detectors can also cause this.

0 Likes
BigWes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re: Consistent alerts error 3170...and my settings are correct! HELP!

Options

‎12-19-2013 09:47 AM

I had the same issue.  After talking to a Verizon FIOS technician from thier techinical support center, he said that no changes are needed for Outlook for Mac.  That means the settings should be:

Incoming server: incoming.verizon.net

Incoming port: 110

Outgoing server: outgoing.verizon.net

Outgoing port: 25

Hope that helps others not waste an hour searching Verizon's website and trying to navigate their massive phone tree to actually speak to a technician.

subjockey
Enthusiast - Level 2

That did it!  Thanks so much for the info!  I changed all of the settings back to normal on my iMac running Mt. Lion with MS Office:mac2011.  I wonder why none of the Verizon techs. didn't suggest that?  Thanks again

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

DON'T stay with the old settings.  The network doesn't magically recognize Mac's and let them use the old ports.  The URL and Port changes apply to all email clients.  PCs/MACs/Smart Phones, etc.

They are actively retiring the old servers that support the old settings.  If you don't work on getting the correct new settings to work you will be caught when that happens.

Post all your settings except confidential info such as userid and password, so that some peer here can make suggestions.  Also post the complete error message (masking any confidential info)  Yes, most users here with Outlook 2011 for MAC have it working.

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I'm also having trouble sending emails this morning.  I'm able to retrieve email OK, just can't send.

I get a connection timed out error message after approx 90 seconds of trying to send.

I use Thunderbird as the mail client and it uses the same settings as Outlook for the servers. 

This problem just started this morning after several years of no problems with email.

Does anyone know of a place where we can find out the status of the Verizon smtp servers?

SMTP server is set for smtp.verizon.net, port 465, SSL/TLS and normal password

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/service_outage_information.htm is the official page for service outages.  For my area it currently says somethings is wrong, but doesn't say what.  Possibly not local to me as I see nothing wrong, and my email is working fine (Thunderbird, outlook express, and iPhone 5s)

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks TNS_2.  I've gone to the link you provided, but see nothing about service outages or problems.  Just a FAQ list.

I do have myverizon set up to receive notifications, but none show for now.

I can receive email OK.  I can send email through an AT&T SMTP, but the Verizon SMTP server continues to time out.

EDIT at 10:44 EST

I see from other posts addressing the smtp outage that at least one user has spoken with Support and was told the servers would be out until 1000 EST tomorrow (Sunday 1/5/2014).

It would have been nice to receive some notification.

0 Likes
subjockey
Enthusiast - Level 2

TNS_2  Thanks for the reply!  Please keep in mind that I am using an iMAC with OS X Mt. Lion.  I have Microsoft office:mac 2011 and am using the associated Outlook 2011.  My settings when the problem was intermittent were the following: Outlook Tools>accounts: Account Description - Verizon, Personal Settings - My Full Name and email address.  Under Server information - User Name and Password.  Incoming Server - pop.verizon.net - port 995.  Use SSL to connect was checked.  Outgoing Server - smtp.verizon.net.  Override port was checked and port number was 465.  (Override port remained checked on the "Outgoing Server" or it would revert back to default of 25).  Use SSL to connect was checked.  Under "More Options" Authentication was "Use Incoming Server Info".  That is all I changed following the Verizon Tech. Instructions.  With those settings I encountered intermittent send failures with error code 3170 which said: Error: Outlook cannot find the server.  Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings and that your DNS settings in the Network Pane of System Preferences are correct.

0 Likes