Is Verizon blocking all external SMTP servers now? 465 / 587 not working either
funupterzoid

I have an Dreamhost hosting account which handles all my email, don't use Verizon at all. 

For last year or so have used 587 w/ STARTTLS with no issues. Always worked fine. 

Suddenly can't connect at all from Verizon. Configuration unchanged on client side, but all attempts to contact that host will timeout.  But fire up my VPN to tunnel the traffic and it works fine.  And exact same client PC works fine in dozens of other locations / networks with same config. 

Can't find anything at all in my router that would indicate an issue.  Config unchanged from when it was working fine. 

Tried 465 w/ SSL/TLS and same result - works great via tunnel, blocked on Verizon. 

Recap:

Destination SMTP server = a Dreamhost server

587 / STARTTLS fails to connect via Verizon, fine via VPN and same client hardware/config on other networks

465 / SSL/TLS fails to connect via Verizon, fine via VPN and same client hardware/config on other networks

Any suggestions?  Has Verizon suddenly blocked a number of hosting companies? Quite irritating to have to fire up the tunnel just because of sending basic emails. 

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon blocking all external SMTP servers now? 465 / 587 not working either
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.  Only port blocked is 25.  Might need to talk to Dreamhost.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon blocking all external SMTP servers now? 465 / 587 not working either
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Based on your description of the issue, I wonder if maybe Dreamhost is blocking connections from your IP? Do you know if your IP address has changed recently?

I would recommend getting a new IP address to see if that helps. The simplest way to do this is to turn off your router for a few hours. (Before you go to bed or out to run errands are good times.)

0 Likes
funupterzoid

Good idea.  Thanks I'll try that.  I'm at another house now (and client is working perfectly now...) but will give it a try. 

I reboot all my routers regularly and forced reboots when I found this issue but I think this is a good idea to try. 

0 Likes