Is it possible to switch from Verizon Yahoo email account to a basic Verizon.net account?
Sunny_Boston
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon Yahoo email account, and have not used it in a while. I recently started using it and realized that I hate the Yahoo portal (garish ads, cluttered interface, etc.).  Does any one know if it is possible to switch to a basic Verizon account. At this point I don't care if it is the classic Webmail or the new Message Center.

Re: Is it possible to switch from Verizon Yahoo email account to a basic Verizon.net account?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.  I did just that a few months back.     You can't do it thru the self-service portal however.

While I don't know if there are different requirements in different states or service areas which may affect who can switch, etc., what I did was use the tech support chat and explained to them that I didn't want the "Yahoo" experience any longer.   Explained I was trying to switch to AOL just to get away from Yahoo but that it wasn't working thru the portal -- but once we started chatting I told them that I really didn't want AOL either -- just wanted the Verizon branded basic experience not a partner one.  Took them about 15 minutes and the first line person had to involve and engineer behind the scenes to make the change, but they got it done without skipping a beat.

If you use a client other than the web client to get your email (like Outlook or Thunderbird or on a mobile device), you will have to reconfigure their POP and SMTP settings afterwards.

Re: Is it possible to switch from Verizon Yahoo email account to a basic Verizon.net account?
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Sunny_bunny,

It can be done if you request it. Did you want to give the aol portal a shot? Now in the event you want to have yahoo removed I'm going to advise of a few things.

When we remove yahoo we always ask the customer to backup emails and address book. The reason for this is when we remove the portal its like a liquidation sale everything goes except the email address. I recommend outlook to get the contacts and email from yahoo then you can actually import messages and contacts back into verizon webmail.

0 Likes