Is the email I got legit?
Phinney1

I got an email, several of them, ostensibly from Verizon, instructing me to change my email settings. Not sure why. Anyway, I don't know if these emails are really from Verizon or a fraudulent or crooked outfit looking for my information and posing as Verizon. I called Verizon twice and when I finally finally finally got thru to people neither one knew what I was talking about. Does anyone know if this is legit? Thanks, Here is email: 

+++

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

This is our third attempt to contact you as we noticed that you still have not updated your Email Server settings. We urge you to make changes to all your devices now as Verizon is beginning to implement changes that may cause interruption to your service if you neglect to make the required modifications.

Please use our quick guided setup at verizon.com/emailassist or the quick overview below to manually make changes:

ServerCurrent SettingNew SettingSSL EnabledPort
POP3 Serverincoming.verizon.netpop.verizon.netYES995
SMTP Serveroutgoing.verizon.netsmtp.verizon.netYES465

TIPS:

• For iOS, Android devices - Ensure Authentication method is set to "Password"
  • For all tablets and mobile devices - Restart your device after making the changes    

Note – There are no setting changes when accessing verizon.net email via myverizon/webmail.

If you need additional assistance in updating your settings, you may:

• Visit verizon.com/emailsettings for a general overview and step by step instructions
  • Use our In-Home Agent tool, if installed on your computer
  • Vist our online forum at forums.verizon.com for additional information

To verify the validity of this email, please sign into your myverizon.com account and click on "Announcements" under the "Verizon" tab at the bottom of the webpage.

Thank you for being a valued Verizon customer.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the email I got legit?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, it's legit. There are dozens of posts on the forums about this, so if you have any issue making the changes try searching. Odds are, someone else has already had the problem. 😉

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Davetrap

received the same one. I use the internet version of verizon, so no change. but every time, including the last time they sent this, it never worked on my apple products. Assuming legit, but surprised it fails out.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, it's legit. There are dozens of posts on the forums about this, so if you have any issue making the changes try searching. Odds are, someone else has already had the problem. 😉

0 Likes
Phinney1

Thank you both!

0 Likes
Mouser1

I also got this email as well as a phone call yesterday telling me to change my email settings.

I looked on the website and found the same info so I changed them. It didn't let me get my emails so I changed it back.

I am not going to change any settings until I can't get my emails since I am not have problems now.

0 Likes
doriver

I wouldn't trust that reply.  I got an email, supposedly from Verizon.  I opened it to learn more about it and was caught by a crook and could not recover without shutting down my computer, which then brought a phone call from a classic technician crook who wants to get into the computer and charge me for it.   So i'm wary of verizon emails.  

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes