Keep Me Signed In Functionality
SJBinMD
Enthusiast - Level 2

On the Sign In Screen, can Verizon start posting the Status for this subject and keep the info UPDATED on that screen? Or include a link to THIS VERIZON FORUM? I'm astonished at the poor communications being provided on this subject.

0 Likes
Re: Keep Me Signed In Functionality
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Logging into VZ Email

I use Chrome Browser Version 41.0.2272.118 m

And Norton 360…In Norton Identity Safe…my VERIZON Residential login is stored

I have an icon on my desktop

https://mail.verizon.com/webmail/driver?nimlet=showmessages&view=emails#mail_Emails_INBOX

After I boot up the Pc for the day

I click on above url and it takes me directly to my Inbox

I also have another icon on my desktop for the VZ Forums

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/bd-p/FiOS_Internet

Note that this takes me to the FiOS Internet Forum.

The first time I use the icon for the day I first click on Register and that signs me in to the Forum.

Thereafter I can go to any Forum.

If I "close” My Inbox and / or Forums I can get back to them by clicking on the appropriate icon.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS LINK WILL NOT WORK FROM THIS POSTING..BUT THEY DO WORK FOR ME...WHEN I TRIED TO CLICK ON IT DIRECTLY FROM THIS POSTING IT TOOK ME TO SIGN IN AND THEN TO VERIZON WIRELESS LINK THAT EVERYONE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT....

I JUST TRIED THE FORUM LINK AND THAT ONE DID WORK

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

10:35 am

NOW BOTH LINKS WORK FOR ME FROM MY FORUM POSTING...GO FIGURE !

SJBinMD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I do not have access to FIOS so I use High Speed DSL  

I use I.E. 11 instead of Chrome. However, after I "Sign In", then close I.E. or after a period of time passes, I have to repeat the "Sign In' process. It does not remain active all day long.

I hope Verizon will restore the Remember Me feature soon. And will tell us how long they expect this to take.

It would be GREAT if VERIZON would do a better job of informing customers in a more transparent manner.  Not every user is familiar with using Forums and may not have time to do that.  That is why I suggested that VERIZON place a NOTIFICATION on the "Sign In" Screen which VERIZON could then keep updated.  That simple change would probably alleviate a lot of aggravation for users.  I do not recall ever receiving even an eMail about this change.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

It is my impression that Verizon does not intend to offer the two-week login option again. I do not know that for a fact, but everything I have seen seems to indicate that Verizon views the two-week login as a serious security threat. And no, I don't know why, I used the two-week login for years, worked fine for me, and I hope I am wrong and they do bring it back.

However, there are a couple of easy ways to deal with this:

1) Rather than starting your browser each time you want to access Verizon webmail, just open webmail once in a separate tab or separate browser instance and then simply don't close that tab or browser instance until you are ready to shut down your system. This way webmail will remain open, although after some period of time (it appears to me to be 20 or so minutes) a pop-up will occur asking you to click if you want to continue with webmail:

I have left that pop-up showing for hours and still been able to access webmail with that one click.

2) Use an automated login tool. I use the older free version of KeePass to access and log into many websites, and have set up a KeePass script that will automatically access the webmail URL and then enter my user name and password (took a little work to get the number of tabs and the delays needed for it to work). The only thing I have to do is open a new tab before I start the KeePass script (I am using Firefox, but it should work for Chrome or IE, probably Safari). This way I can close and restart the browser, or reboot the system, and once the browser is back up log in again without manually entering anything other than three clicks - one to get a new tab and two to run the KeePass script. I am sure that many other password tools offer some form of automated login that you can use.

Now last, I would strongly suggest that everybody consider using an email client rather than depending on the webmail interface. There are lots of free email clients for all of the various operating systems you might be using, and these clients automate accessing the email servers and logging in. Plus they offer far greater editing capabilities, and since they download the emails to the system's hard drive you won't lose your emails if Verizon screws something up. I use the free Windows Live Mail client, I chose it 5 years ago when I first got Windows 7, and I have installed and used it on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and a preview of Windows 10 (supposedly generally available later this year). 

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
SJBinMD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  However, you lost me with the phrase "two-week login option".  What exactly did you mean to write?  I suspect you meant the two-step Sign In which is now in effect.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@SJBinMD wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  However, you lost me with the phrase "two-week login option".  What exactly did you mean to write?  I suspect you meant the two-step Sign In which is now in effect.

Just what I said: "two-week login." While logging in you could check a box for a two-week login and Verizon would place a cookie on your system with an exiration date exactly two weeks in the future (to the minute), so you did not need to log in again for two weeks, their websites would recognize you from that cookie.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes