Re: Letter from Verizon Services re change in POP3 server settings
Jazzberry1

Any Opera users here?  I've not been able to get the new settings to work with the Opera e-mail software and am wondering if its incompatible. Opera uses TLS and not SSL connections.   I've read that the difference between TLS and SSL is minor but perhaps Verizon's e-mail protocols are not robust enough to support the TLS?

I recall I also used AUTH CRAM MD5 authentication before Verizon changed their POP3 server settings but I'm not sure what to use now.  I tried every version of authentication offered by Opera but it's not working. 

Because the Verizon's webmail was not working for my account yesterday either, I ended up making Gmail my primary e-mail account. I had no choice as I was expecting some very important e-mails.  I never thought that I would end up choosing a free e-mail account over a paid e-mail account ... but Verizon really dropped the ball.  The technical support is awful -- they never have any answers and they always take at least an hour if not longer ... regardless of the  question.  If the CSRs didn't insist on saying thank you in every other sentence it would probably take half the time.  Being polite is nice, but they really overdo it and it doesn't make up for the incompetence. 

0 Likes
mckellygirl

I too was unable to get the new settings to work on my iPhone 4S and reverted to the original settings.  I don't think the letter was very clear.  I thought I needed to change the settings on my handheld device, but I am accessing email through the email link on my iPhone and maybe that is pulling from webmail and does not need to change.  I'm not going to change it on my laptop either, as I believe I am only directly accessing via webmail.  They could have done a much better job to clarify what needs to change and what does not.

0 Likes
singinglady

I, modified the server settings on my computer per the notice from Verizon.  However, when making the changes on my iPad, it would not accept the incoming server change to POP.  Are these changes really necessary?  If I don't make them am I going to have problems down the road?

0 Likes
_DaveM

Nope - have an iphone, and the new incoming server setting (pop.verizon.net) does not work.  I have to keep the old one (incoming.verizon.net).  the new port settings do seem to work, however

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually the changes will EVENTUALLY be mandatory.  So best work on getting them to work. 

Common problems. 

• Simple spelling errors
  • confusing pop (incoming) and smtp (outgoing)
  • incorrect ports
  • not turning off autentication "Authenticated POP" (APOP).  Clear password needed
  • not turning on SSL
  • not setting authenciation required on smtp connection.
  • not restarting your device, particularly on Apple phones and Ipads
  • some devices don't allow you to change settings.  On those you have to set up a new connection and disable the old one.  Yes on those devices you end up redownloading any messages that you still have the servers.
dialitup

Cahnged my server settings 3/25/2013 on iMac with MSOutlook.  System wrote over previous database and data records (under Main Identity) and I lost everything.  Anyone else with this problem?  Anyone know what happened?

0 Likes
dialitup

Did you ever figure out what was happening?  I recently made the switch and completely lost my data base and data records (iMac and MSOutlook user).  Thanks.

0 Likes
security reasons?
lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because email connects through many routers and mail servers on its way to the recipient, it is inherently vulnerable to both physical and virtual eavesdropping. Current industry standards do not place emphasis on security; information is transferred in plain text, and mail servers regularly conduct unprotected backups of email that passes through. In effect, every email leaves a digital papertrail in its wake that can be easily inspected months or years later.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

These Settings work for me.

THIS IS HOW MY Ipad is set up  in the following area. The ***** are your personal choices.

Settings

Mail,Contacts,Calendars

Accounts

****@verizon.net

Mail

Account…ON

POP account Information

Name…*****

Email…*****

Description…*****

Incoming Mail Server

Host Name

incoming.verizon.net

User Name…*****

Password…*****

Outgoing Mail Server

SMTP    outgoing.verizon.net

Advanced

Deleted Messages

Remove…****

Incoming Settings

Use SSL…ON

Authentication…DID NOT SETUP

Delete from Server…*****

Server Port   995

S/MIME

S/MIME…OFF

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

THIS IS HOW MY Ipad is set up  in the following area. The ***** are your personal choices.

ORIGINAL                                    CHANGED TO

Settings                                           Effective 5-4-2013

Mail,Contacts,Calendars

Accounts

****@verizon.net

Mail

Account…ON

POP account Information

Name…*****

Email…*****

Description…*****

Incoming Mail Server