Re: Mandatory Email Changes for iPhone and Apple Users, from a non MAC MAN but iPhone dude!
PLORD

I have tried updating my Iphone with the directions given in previous notices.  However / it tries to verify for quite sometime and then I get the message - cannot connect ussing SSL?   what am I doing wrong?  This is very frustrating, so if someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.    thanks  

0 Likes
Re: Mandatory Email Changes for iPhone and Apple Users, from a non MAC MAN but iPhone dude!
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@PLORD wrote:

I have tried updating my Iphone with the directions given in previous notices.  However / it tries to verify for quite sometime and then I get the message - cannot connect ussing SSL?   what am I doing wrong?  This is very frustrating, so if someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.    thanks  

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong without knowing what you are doing. What settings are you using?

0 Likes
Plord617

I first deleted my original account.   I than did the following steps>  1.   add account   2.  click other   3.  click add mail account    4.  I typed my full email address   5.    host name - pop.verizon.net   6.   user name - full email address.    same for outgoing /    smtp.verizon.net / user name - full email adress.  it then says verifying.  It spins for quite a while before the message is generated:   can not connect using SSL?     so I dont know where to go to turn on SSL and check port as shown on other responses on how to download.    Any help is greatly appreciated.    thanks!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Plord617 wrote:

I first deleted my original account.   I than did the following steps>  1.   add account   2.  click other   3.  click add mail account    4.  I typed my full email address   5.    host name - pop.verizon.net   6.   user name - full email address.    same for outgoing /    smtp.verizon.net / user name - full email adress.  it then says verifying.  It spins for quite a while before the message is generated:   can not connect using SSL?     so I dont know where to go to turn on SSL and check port as shown on other responses on how to download.    Any help is greatly appreciated.    thanks!

Not sure if its true here, but my settings for Thunderbird have

Full email address for POP

@email name (no @verizon.net) for SMTP

0 Likes
DavidFulton

prisaz,

Thank you for posting this.  

The Incoming Mail Server > Select Authentication step is what I was missing.  And you're right the Verizon support folks were completely clueless about how to help.  The best they could do was give me the number to Apple Support.

However, I consider this to be a FAILURE on the part of Verizon.  They are asking me to change settings required for their service, so I think they should have made some effort to work with Apple to provide useful information for how to change those settings.

Again, just my opinion but, I see this as a Verizon Support Failure.

Thank you again.

Dave 

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

GBs, I'm having the same issue with my iphone 4S. I make the changes and it goes into a verifying loop that never stops. I go back to the old settings and it works fine. Same thing happened a month ago when I tried it then.

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've tried everytrhing, still goes into verifying loop..

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, now it's working. Follow the directions exactly including Authentication = Password, it will go into a verifying loop for about 10 mins and it was done. It refreshed and marked all of the emails as unread, but it's working fine now.

0 Likes