Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Mandatory Email Changes for iPhone and Apple Users, from a non MAC MAN but iPhone dude!

SOLVED
PLORD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mandatory Email Changes for iPhone and Apple Users, from a non MAC MAN but iPhone dude!

Message 11 of 18
(1,481 Views)

I have tried updating my Iphone with the directions given in previous notices.  However / it tries to verify for quite sometime and then I get the message - cannot connect ussing SSL?   what am I doing wrong?  This is very frustrating, so if someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.    thanks  

somegirl
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II

Re: Mandatory Email Changes for iPhone and Apple Users, from a non MAC MAN but iPhone dude!

Message 12 of 18
(1,477 Views)

@PLORD wrote:

I have tried updating my Iphone with the directions given in previous notices.  However / it tries to verify for quite sometime and then I get the message - cannot connect ussing SSL?   what am I doing wrong?  This is very frustrating, so if someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.    thanks  

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong without knowing what you are doing. What settings are you using?

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
Plord617
Contributor
Contributor

Message 13 of 18
(1,443 Views)

I first deleted my original account.   I than did the following steps>  1.   add account   2.  click other   3.  click add mail account    4.  I typed my full email address   5.    host name - pop.verizon.net   6.   user name - full email address.    same for outgoing /    smtp.verizon.net / user name - full email adress.  it then says verifying.  It spins for quite a while before the message is generated:   can not connect using SSL?     so I dont know where to go to turn on SSL and check port as shown on other responses on how to download.    Any help is greatly appreciated.    thanks!

tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 14 of 18
(1,426 Views)

@Plord617 wrote:

I first deleted my original account.   I than did the following steps>  1.   add account   2.  click other   3.  click add mail account    4.  I typed my full email address   5.    host name - pop.verizon.net   6.   user name - full email address.    same for outgoing /    smtp.verizon.net / user name - full email adress.  it then says verifying.  It spins for quite a while before the message is generated:   can not connect using SSL?     so I dont know where to go to turn on SSL and check port as shown on other responses on how to download.    Any help is greatly appreciated.    thanks!

Not sure if its true here, but my settings for Thunderbird have

Full email address for POP

@email name (no @verizon.net) for SMTP

DavidFulton
Contributor
Contributor

Message 15 of 18
(1,279 Views)

prisaz,

Thank you for posting this.  

The Incoming Mail Server > Select Authentication step is what I was missing.  And you're right the Verizon support folks were completely clueless about how to help.  The best they could do was give me the number to Apple Support.

However, I consider this to be a FAILURE on the part of Verizon.  They are asking me to change settings required for their service, so I think they should have made some effort to work with Apple to provide useful information for how to change those settings.

Again, just my opinion but, I see this as a Verizon Support Failure.

Thank you again.

Dave 

jat454
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 16 of 18
(1,277 Views)

GBs, I'm having the same issue with my iphone 4S. I make the changes and it goes into a verifying loop that never stops. I go back to the old settings and it works fine. Same thing happened a month ago when I tried it then.

jat454
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 18
(1,275 Views)

I've tried everytrhing, still goes into verifying loop..

jat454
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 18 of 18
(1,267 Views)

Ok, now it's working. Follow the directions exactly including Authentication = Password, it will go into a verifying loop for about 10 mins and it was done. It refreshed and marked all of the emails as unread, but it's working fine now.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title