Message to change POP settings
Villaverla

I got a message from Verizon to change my POP settings on my Outlook and my phone. the email said to check the website in My Verizon for notification messages to check the validity of the email if I questioned it.
There are no notifications under the New Notifications section.
So can anyone tell me if this notification came from Verizon? Do I really need to change my incoming and outgoing mail servers and port settings? Or is this a scam to cause huge disruptions to our email?

And if it IS real, and from Verizon, why don't they post the notification after referring to it in an email?

0 Likes
Re: Message to change POP settings
Jleddy
Is this real? Does it apply to iPhone email accounts?
0 Likes
panyab

Yes.  I called Verizon tech support (twice) to verify that this email was truly valid.  It is.  I was able to change my Outlook email info on my PC but when trying to update my iPhone, the incoming server name (pop.verizon.net) could not be activated.  Tech support said I would have to pay for premium service since this was an iPhone issue--imagine the gall!! Like Apple would take responsibility for verizon's upgrades!  If anyone with an iPhone has been able to make this work, can you please let me know? (the smtp outgoing server is fine).

0 Likes
jbmckin

I had problems too. Found the answer in another thread. Turn off the iPhone, wait, then turn it back on. I did it and it worked. 

0 Likes
panyab

I tried this several times yesterday and again today. My iPhone message is, "The mail server "pop.verizon.net" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."  Doesn't work on my friend's iPhone either, so I know it's not just me.

0 Likes
panyab

I tried this several times yesterday and again today. My iPhone message is, "The mail server "pop.verizon.net" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."  Doesn't work on my friend's iPhone either, so I know it's not just me.

0 Likes
winxalot

I've spent almost an hour so far trying to verify that this "Action Required Now" message is valid.

I see no evidence that it is valid., based on the instructions received from Verizon.  There is no announcement posted. 

Could a person from Verizon with authority to speak for the company validate the message, please?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@winxalot wrote:

I've spent almost an hour so far trying to verify that this "Action Required Now" message is valid ... I see no evidence that it is valid ... Could a person from Verizon with authority to speak for the company validate the message, please?

While you are waiting for a response from "a person from Verizon with authority" I would like to assure you that the messages that subscribers are receiving regarding changes in email server settings are indeed valid.  If you do even a minor amount of searching on these forums you will eventually encounter an "official" notice from Verizon communications.  For starters, take a look at this page and associated links:

http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/...

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@winxalot wrote:

I've spent almost an hour so far trying to verify that this "Action Required Now" message is valid.

I see no evidence that it is valid., based on the instructions received from Verizon.  There is no announcement posted. 

Could a person from Verizon with authority to speak for the company validate the message, please?

I am clearly not a "person from Verizon with authority to speak for the company", but the email I received from Verizon has this paragraph near the bottom:

"If you want to verify the validity of this notification and the instructions contained herein,  please sign into your MyVerizon.com account and click on “Check Verizon Announcements” under the “I Want to…” menu bar."

Have you done that? I did, the information that the email is valid is clearly right there. If you really don't believe us, then do what the email suggests.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
verizcust

I received this message in an email on 3/14/13.  I checked the validity on the Verizon website.

As instructed I changed the POP settings to 465 and 995.  My Verizon email did not work, couldn't

send or receive.  I tested this using a work email.  I got online with a chat tech who confirmed that

the 465 and 995 are correct.  Then I used the default POP settings in Outlook Express and I was

able to send and receive.  I got online with another chat tech who did not know anything about the

request to change POP settings.  The tech asked permission to come online on my computer, to

reconfigure it.  I did not give this permission.

Does anyone out there or at Verizon know about this?

Also, is there any way to get in touch with someone at Verizon by phone, not through chat techs?

verizcust

0 Likes