Re: Message to change POP settings
Android_Andy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see this is almost a couple months old but if anyone is still not sure how to set up the Verizon email in Outlook 2xxx let me know...I can assist.  Just reply to this message, I have it set to email me.

0 Likes
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got that message about 2 months ago.  I did find verification on the website.  I changed the settings to the new ones.  Then a few weeks later, I was unable to send or receive mail.  I changed them back to the old settings and everything was fine.

Apparently, a lot of people had the same problem.  I still have mine on the old settings and everything is fine.  I never changed the one on my phone or tablet and don't have any problems there either.

Janet in NJ

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JanetInNJ wrote:

I got that message about 2 months ago.  I did find verification on the website.  I changed the settings to the new ones.  Then a few weeks later, I was unable to send or receive mail.  I changed them back to the old settings and everything was fine.

Apparently, a lot of people had the same problem.  I still have mine on the old settings and everything is fine.  I never changed the one on my phone or tablet and don't have any problems there either.

Janet in NJ

Just remember that at some future date the settings you are using will suddenly stop working as the retire the old servers.

0 Likes
dominik12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a user of Verizon for some time. At one time, they were POP. THEN they went back to SMTP. Now, they again want to switch BACK to POP. During this time, I went from being able to NOT use the wireless system at my university (I'm an instructor) using POP to being able to use it (using SMTP). In switching BACK to POP, I will again NOT be able to use the wireless system for emails. My point?? DO NOT switch to POP until it is no longer viable. Don't believe that will ever happen as they've wanted us to switch back to POP for at LEAST 2 months. It's problematic and solves NOTHING! Bottom line ... they say you NEED to switch ... but it'll never happen! 🙂

0 Likes
Android_Andy
Enthusiast - Level 2

No offense, dominik12, but your post did not make sense. The only reason I'm correcting you is because what you said could confuse someone that doesn't have a technical background.  POP (POP3) and SMTP are the exact same email system - POP3 is the incoming server and SMTP is the outgoing server.  What Verizon has done is enabled additional encryption - something that was missing before and I, for one, have switched my Outlook settings on all of my Verizon accounts to these newer settings and highly suggest anyone else using any type of email application do the same thing...it's a good thing.  I've tested these settings on Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 and they work flawlessly.  Be sure you're following ALL of the directions.or it won't work. 

These are from Outlook 2013 but the settings will be the same regardless of the email application you're using.

http://prntscr.com/15f6zt

http://prntscr.com/15f723

http://prntscr.com/15f6in (this is where you see the added SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) addition over the old system )

Suffice it to say I believe Verizon will eventually switch over completely to this newer, more secure method of handling emails and if you've not switched your settings your email will cease to send/receive to/from your email application.  You'll still be able to access via webmail but not download to your computer.

Fishead1

Android_Andy those settings do not work for a lot of people(the new port numbers).When I switch to those port numbers I get a password error that my password ir wrong.I can't send or recieve.

My Verizon Web mail works fine.I was going crazy trying to figure it out but my e-mail client (Windows Live)was working fine with old port settings as soon as I changed to the new Numbers it stopped working.Wrong password error.

So the new port numbers must be on a different server and it doesn't have my password or else why would I get that error with new numbers?

0 Likes
TominOceanside

Need some advice on using Outlook 2007 with Verizon fios: I think the problem I'm having is connected to the changes in settings that Verizon offered several months ago, but I actually don't know. Receiving email works fine. Sending email from Outlook gives me tis message:

Task:{edited for privacy} sending error 0X800CCC13  Cannot connect to network. Verify your network connection or server.

I use two email accounts through Outlook 2007. The account that goes through Microsoft receives and sends perfectly. The verizon.net account Receives mail, but sent items sit in the Outbox and don't go out.

Can you help me fix this?

0 Likes
Android_Andy
Enthusiast - Level 2

@TominOceanside

Question: Are you using this in a work setting?  When you say "Going through Microsoft" it sounds like perhaps you're in a MS Exchange environment.  If this is the case there is the possibility your company has the new ourgoing port blocked (For your Verizon/POP account).  Some NE's (Network Engineers) don't like users accessing non-essential ports and will block them as that increases network security.  Open, unused ports creates vulnerabilities.

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am trying to set up a verizon.net email account on my Android phone, Email version 2.3.4 . The Verizon troubleshooter "for all Android phones" was either outdated, incorrect, or does not apply to MY Android phone for some reason. Step 2 refers to a tab that my Android does not display.

Here are the steps and settings that I have used, in order:

Email address: {edited for privacy}@verizon.net

Password: **********

Tapped Manual setup

Tapped POP3

Username: {edited for privacy}@verizon.net

POP3 server: pop.verizon.net

Port: 995

Security type: SSL

Delete email from server: Never

Tapped Next

Error message: Setup could not finish Username or password incorrect. Edit details

I read how older settings were working for other people, so I started over using the old settings:

Email address: {edited for privacy}@verizon.net

Tapped Manual setup

Tapped POP3

Username: {edited for privacy}@verizon.net

POP3 server: incoming.verizon.net

Port: 110

Security type: SSL

Delete email from server: Never

Tapped Next

Error message: Setup could not finish Cannot safely connect to server. (SSL handshake aborted:...a bunch of codes...)

I am positive I typed my password correctly as it works fine on the Verizon.net  webpage. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong I'd sure like the help.

0 Likes
Android_Andy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only thing that jumps out at me is username is not the email address. That will cause it to fail authentication on some mail servers.  Username is typically whatever is before the @ symbol.  Give that a try and see what happens. 

If that fails can you provide more info like the phone make/type?  Also, what version of Android you're running.  My phone is actually considered "old" with a rather "old" version of Droid but works perfectly with Verizon so I feel pretty confident yours should be working unless your phone is more than 3 years old.

0 Likes