Microsoft Surface tablet & POP email
MauriceL1

I have the new Surface tablet and discovered that it doesn't support POP email accounts. But that's the only mail protocol that Verizon apparently supports. Is there any way to get an IMAP account from Verizon?

0 Likes
Re: Microsoft Surface tablet & POP email
tns
Master - Level 2

Nope.  Verizon doesn't support it.  Since pop is still the most common email, its a big mistake that Microsoft is taking heat on.  Microsoft may add support later. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Windows 8 does not support POP3 with their Default email client.  Verizon doesn't provide anything BUT POP3.

BUT I found a great little article that might help you.  Requires a few steps and elbow grease, but it might be worth it for you. 

Microsoft does not support POP3 in the Windows 8 Built in Email.

You will see this message .

How to Read POP Mail in Windows 8

Verizon Does not support IMAP or EAS.

Millions of users have email accounts that rely on POP3 mail servers. Many ISPs even give their users POP accounts by default, but don’t tell that to Microsoft as the company steadfastly refuses to support POP3 in Windows 8′s built-in email.

You have no particular have no particular obligation to use the built-in Windows Mail, but it is currently the only email client for Modern UI. They can install any of dozens of desktop email applications including Windows Live Essentials mail, Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. However, if they want to use the built-in Mail with a POP account, there’s a workaround that involves routing their messages through an online service such as Gmail, Hotmail or Outlook.com. 

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-read-pop-mail-in-windows-8

Instructions found at the link. 

0 Likes
Bevayah
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing the same problem and would appreciate assistance to resolve.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Your peer already posted the links above.  Remember this is a peer to peer forum.  Essentially you can use Microsofts Outlook.com site to translate the mail to something windows 8 likes.

Stupid solution, and really its all Microsoft's doing.  Pop and smtp is the oldest and still most popular email format.  They are just refusing direct support.

0 Likes