More about changing settings on Outlook Express
cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has sent me a notice to change settings on both the POP3 Server and the SMTP Server (to 995 and 465 respectively.) 

My question pertains to the "Server" screen on 'pop.verizon.net" in  Outlook Express which has two boxes at the bottom.

The first box says "Log on using Secure Password Authentication

The second box says ""My server requires authentication"

My current settings (110/25) have the first box unchecked and the second box checked

When   I  retain the current box settings I cannot send mail -- get a "time-out" message

How should I reconfigure the two boxes?

Your help would be much appreciated

0 Likes
Re: More about changing settings on Outlook Express
PJL
Master - Level 3

@CKenneth wrote:

Verizon has sent me a notice to change settings on both the POP3 Server and the SMTP Server (to 995 and 465 respectively.) 

My question pertains to the "Server" screen on 'pop.verizon.net" in  Outlook Express which has two boxes at the bottom.

The first box says "Log on using Secure Password Authentication

The second box says ""My server requires authentication"

My current settings (110/25) have the first box unchecked and the second box checked

When   I  retain the current box settings I cannot send mail -- get a "time-out" message

How should I reconfigure the two boxes?

Your help would be much appreciated

I believe the settings you specifically asked about are for receiving email only -- not sending it. 

For sending email, the server name is smtp.verizon.net.  The outgoing connection requires authentication and uses the same user name and password as the incoming server. 

Your ports are not correct.  The incoming port is 995 with SSL enabled, and the outgoing port is port 465 with SSL.  You apparently have them set to 110 and 25.

0 Likes
Re: More about changing settings on Outlook Express
cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks PJL. The settings on the "server" screen of Outlook Express refer  to both incoming and outgoing. I am aware of the new  Outgoing smtp.verizon.net Port 465 setting. Unfortunately, that setting gives me a"time-out" message each time I attempt to send email.

Do you know how I can access live Verizon tech support? 

0 Likes