Re: New AOL mail and Outlook settings
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should not be using Pop.aol.com.  Stay with pop.verizon.net.  Changes it does give you a different server (at least when I last checked) but doesn't match recommendations.

Obviously, from you messages,  something unexpected is slowing validating your password.  This kind of thing happens when servers are overloaded or down.  Usually it goes away.  If it continues for more than a day, and you are positive you have the documented settings, CONTACT VERIZON.

0 Likes
AJH3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just curious why so say not to use pop.aol.com?

It's working perfectly for everyone and obviously something is wrong with pop.verizon as it no longer works and can't be just a temporary outage.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pop.verizon.net works perfectly well for me and many other people.  The fact that pop.aol.com and pop.verizon.net, at least the every time I check, point to different servers may mean that pop.aol.com might stop working for Verizon customers at any time.

0 Likes
joefiesta
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, I believe the problem has nothing to do with Outlook Settings (unless they are wrong, of course).  The problem is AOL. 

And the problem continues to get worse.  Sporadically, Outlook was not able to sign-in to AOL.  It always cleared up in the past.  However, my AOL account is now a complete mess. 

1. l I can't log into AOL online through Firefox or I.E.  They reset my password.  Helped for a short while. 

2.  When I do log in (a couple days ago, no longer), I got one of AOL's BLERK ERRORS.  Says to clean up cache and cookies.  That, of course, didn't help. 

3.  AOL is now telling me that some Verizon.net email accounts are screwed up and they are working on it.  That was 2 days ago.  Today they say they are still working on it. 

4.  for the record, I use OUTLOOK 2003.  Yes, very old, but worked ALWAYS with verizon and with AOL up til about 3 months ago.    I had some 5000 emails on AOL.  Deleted all but 1000 of them and moved them out of INBOX. 

5.  I was having the problem of every so often, Outlook would go out and download all the files from my AOL INBOX  a second time.  I then tried using the SHIFT+DELETE shortcut to delete the files from the SERVER when I delete them from OUTLOOK.  I think that only made matters worse.  It was after that my AOL account got complete SCREWED and UNUSABLE. 

6.  Yes, Verizon needs to be held accountable.  We still pay good money to Verizon and are getting screwed by AOL.  AOL support is pathetic.  

7.  I wanted to try deleting my AOL account so it could be re-created.  AOL said they can't delete my account.  What a joke.

wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me be perfectly clear.  For those of us having issues with Verizon.net email addresses and the (now) AOL hosted email platform, the issues are NOT - repeat - NOT - related to the mail settings or the mail client.

The issues ARE completely, totally, and fundamentally related to the AOL hosted mail platform - period.  Are there possible people out there that have their mail client incorrectly configured?  Probably - sure.  Is that in any way related in the slightest to the issues that most of us are experiencing?

Put bluntly - not a chance in hell.

1. For months, mail clients including Outlook 2016 for Win, Outlook 2016 for Mac, iOS mail, etc, have had repeated issues where the mail client would not be able to establish a connection to the incoming mail server at AOL.  Then we get our "error" and are prompted to re-enter the password.  Usually, after a try or two it goes through.
  2. However, as an example, this past Saturday (April 14 2018) there was a TOTAL outage for a large number of users that extended to Sunday night.  No ability to access mail - period - whether that be by webmail using the AOL portal, or by using a POP3 mail client.  No support available, no response - nothing.  Then magically, it started working on Sunday night.
  3. Then on Monday April 16, there were intermittent outages, but none of any long duration.  Until Tuesday.
  4. At approximately 4:02AM EST, POP3 mail services just disintegrated - and have never returned.  No - repeat NO - mail client has worked for me since then.  At the exact same moment, a Mac, a Windows machine, 3 iOS devices, and an Android device all simultaneously stopped being able to access verizon.net email via POP3 at the exact same moment.  Service has yet to be restored.

AOL has been absolutely worthless - actually worse than worthless - concerning this.  Frankly, I have no confidence that the issue is even being worked on.  As a senior technology exec, I'm completely clueless as to how such a simple service could POSSIBLY take so long to remediate.  Other than DNS propagation, one of my groups could have completely BUILT a new mail infrastructure out and deployed it into production in less time than AOL has in theory been trying to simply restore POP3 access.  I have zero confidence in AOL, "Oath", and now Verizon as a result - and plan to abandon Verizon at my earliest opportunity.  Yes, fiber is better.  But not at this expense.  Cable is good enough.  Since Verizon is effectively forcing me to migrate off of the verizon.net mail domain, which was part of my "paid service", I am no longer sticky to Verizon, and would prefer to just leave.  I don't even use their equipment other than the router and cablecards, so it's VERY easy for me to jump ship.  I'm in the process of working out the email transition, and then it's goodbye Verizon - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

mjmack

Anyone else still having email issues? It worked until 6PM this evening and now I can't download any messages to my IPhone or IPad and I receive an error in Outlook. I tried logging into the AOL app and the messages download but cannot be opened. I am still able to send emails without any issues

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wmhjrwrote:

Let me be perfectly clear.  For those of us having issues with Verizon.net email addresses and the (now) AOL hosted email platform, the issues are NOT - repeat - NOT - related to the mail settings or the mail client.

The issues ARE completely, totally, and fundamentally related to the AOL hosted mail platform - period.  Are there possible people out there that have their mail client incorrectly configured?  Probably - sure.  Is that in any way related in the slightest to the issues that most of us are experiencing?

Put bluntly - not a chance in hell.

1. For months, mail clients including Outlook 2016 for Win, Outlook 2016 for Mac, iOS mail, etc, have had repeated issues where the mail client would not be able to establish a connection to the incoming mail server at AOL.  Then we get our "error" and are prompted to re-enter the password.  Usually, after a try or two it goes through.
  2. However, as an example, this past Saturday (April 14 2018) there was a TOTAL outage for a large number of users that extended to Sunday night.  No ability to access mail - period - whether that be by webmail using the AOL portal, or by using a POP3 mail client.  No support available, no response - nothing.  Then magically, it started working on Sunday night.
  3. Then on Monday April 16, there were intermittent outages, but none of any long duration.  Until Tuesday.
  4. At approximately 4:02AM EST, POP3 mail services just disintegrated - and have never returned.  No - repeat NO - mail client has worked for me since then.  At the exact same moment, a Mac, a Windows machine, 3 iOS devices, and an Android device all simultaneously stopped being able to access verizon.net email via POP3 at the exact same moment.  Service has yet to be restored.

AOL has been absolutely worthless - actually worse than worthless - concerning this.  Frankly, I have no confidence that the issue is even being worked on.  As a senior technology exec, I'm completely clueless as to how such a simple service could POSSIBLY take so long to remediate.  Other than DNS propagation, one of my groups could have completely BUILT a new mail infrastructure out and deployed it into production in less time than AOL has in theory been trying to simply restore POP3 access.  I have zero confidence in AOL, "Oath", and now Verizon as a result - and plan to abandon Verizon at my earliest opportunity.  Yes, fiber is better.  But not at this expense.  Cable is good enough.  Since Verizon is effectively forcing me to migrate off of the verizon.net mail domain, which was part of my "paid service", I am no longer sticky to Verizon, and would prefer to just leave.  I don't even use their equipment other than the router and cablecards, so it's VERY easy for me to jump ship.  I'm in the process of working out the email transition, and then it's goodbye Verizon - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It never was total on April 14th.  But it may well have been one or more servers that people were sent to.  All during that period I had no trouble accessing.  Note depending on where you are and what DNS server you use, you may be getting totally different server.  As a curiosity I would like people to post which server, by IP name and address, they are using when these problems occur.  

I strongly recommend that even if its not working, that people stick to the settings that Verizon/AOL lists and not try to change them to something else.  Of course reporting to Verizon/AOL when it is not working.

0 Likes
RokinRobinLoxly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm getting the same problem:

Starting April 24, 2018 at 9:37 am EDT, my Outlook 2016 desktop PC email program stopped downloading incoming email from Verizon AOL servers to my desktop PC (with Windows 10, Office 365).  I can send email out of Outlook from my PC, but no emails download into Outlook.  I can download email OK into my online AOL account.  I can receive emails sent from my PC Outlook to my online AOL email account.  But when I try to download emails into Outlook on my PC, all I get are error messages "connection to the server was interrupted."  I was previously getting a similar error, where email downloads initiated by clicking on "send/receive" would timeout, so I extended the incoming email download time from 1 min to 2 min, and this worked for that problem for 2 days.  But now I can't download any emails into Outlook.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

Added note:  When I click 'send/receive', I am too getting prompts to login to my Outlook account, my login info is already there, so I just click 'enter'.

It's been 2 days, this 'server' problem is still there.  UGH !!

0 Likes
RokinRobinLoxly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a fix, from this webpage "Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications":

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo...

This page is dated April 13, 2018, and it tells me to simply change my Outlook email settings as follows:

incoming mail server to pop.verizon.net (had been incoming.verizon.net)

outgoing mail server to smtp.verizon.net (had been outgoing.verizon.net)

Did that, and everything is now back to normal.  Why the heck didn't Verizon/AOL/someone tell us this needed to be done?  Back when the Verizon to AOL email switch was forced upon us (a year ago?), I followed those instructions, and everything worked great.  Now they make this 2nd change and don't tell anybody.  Dammit !!!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RokinRobinLoxlywrote:

I found a fix, from this webpage "Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications":

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo...

Are you posting this in a bunch of threads? As i said these settings have not changed since AOL. They in fact were changed several years before. The page may have had some reediting or more detail for specific devices added recently,,but no setting changes.
0 Likes