I finally got my to work right on both my iphone and Windows Live Mail. Nothing was working after changing the servers and ports to the correct settings.
Eventually, I deleted and set up my account again and realized that the User Name needs to include your whole email address. So the User Name should be "firstname.lastname@example.org" and not only "yourname". Before, on both my devices, the User Name was supposed to leave off the "@verizon.net" at the end.
05-26-2015 05:42 PM
Last Friday after working for multiple years Outlook 2013 could not find the (new) verizon Pop3 and SMTP servers. Tried everything including two long sessions with Verizon tech support where they only seemed to know to repeatedly have me check my settings and set up new email accounts. They finally concluded that my Comcast IP was blacklisted based on a report they ran on MXtoolbox.com. Wrong. Turns out the issue is somewhere in Nortan Internet Security. When I turned that off everything started working fine in Outlook 2013
05-27-2015 05:52 AM
The newer Norton Security and NIS may be blocking the ports for outlook. They shouldn't but you may have to manually configure them to allow the Outlook and the ports they need. Best look on the norton community forums for help, since if you haven't had to configure Norton before it can be a bit confusing.