New email settings DON'T WORK FOR ME EITHER
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thunderbird

Incoming ("server settings" for the Thunderbird account)

server type POP

server pop.verizon.net port 995

connection security ssl/tls

authentication normal password

outgoing server smtp.verizon.net port 465

connection security ssl/tls

authentication normal password

Does not work.  Times out connecting to either server.  

Someone please tell me the incredibly obvious mistake that I'm making so that I can slap myself in the forehead and fix this.

If I'm not making an incredibly obvious mistake, please give me the arcane knowledge I need to get this working, and then explain why I pay to be tortured like this when there are organizations around the globe that will do it for free.

Smiley Mad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New email settings DON'T WORK FOR ME EITHER
YankeeDoodle1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not think it is you.  Based on some other forum discussions it appears that the server is down or not working.  Check out the other discussions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
YankeeDoodle1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not think it is you.  Based on some other forum discussions it appears that the server is down or not working.  Check out the other discussions.

0 Likes
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that -- an outage I can deal with.  "we pulled your plug and the instructions we gave you to plug it in again are wrong", notsomuch.

0 Likes
whiterabbit1
Enthusiast - Level 1
so sick of verizon failures. i reset server settings as told in email last month or 2 and today Live Mail and my ipad mail won't download. I can get mail at website, but I want to download. Cable is looking better to me, lower price is no good if it doesn't work half the time !
tompixton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon webmail working fine but not downloading or sending from Apple Mail. Was working fine up until today. Has Verizon changed one of the port settings? That's happened with Comcast.

0 Likes
BxNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

What a mess. For weeks, could not stay logged-in on Webmail.  Now this.  Verizon had months to be sure this worked. Oddly,  mail is downloading to my Android with new settings but not to Outlook.  Grrrrr.

0 Likes
whiterabbit1
Enthusiast - Level 1
It's working now on my iPad. Didn't check Windows Live Mail yet.
0 Likes
BxNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Incoming mail now downloading to Outlook although very slowly.  However, will not Send ffrom Outlook.

0 Likes
RAHill

I just ran head first into that same Verizon stupid-wall.
This is a letter that has been mailed to Verizon, posted to several boards and sites and is being mailed to the Commonwealth of Mass DPU and CDB.

Bottom line:  I cannot use Verizon POP mail any longer at all unless I use <retch> Outlook  ... which is not, ever, an acceptable solution.  Verizon shows no interest in their customers other than their money and that they don't go to ComCast or AT&T.

I already have heard from and spoken to quite a few other  Verizon customers in the last 24 hrs and a lot, LOT of people are quite {word filter avoidance}.
I have been unable to authenticate a proxy with neither of the Verizon POP or SMTP authorizations working, so for all intents and purposes, I no longer have any Verizon POP email access, other than the web client, which is like using a tree to pick your teeth.  400+ messages a day and they want me to use a web client.     Brain Dead.

########

On May 20th, I called into Verizon Tech Support because all three of my sub-accounts no longer accepted POP mail from verizon's pop server while the Master account did.
One works, three do not - ALL are setup IDENTICALLY !! This is a POP SERVER ISSUE!
The last time they were receiving and sending POP mail was 13:30 on May 18th.

As of April 28th, Verizon noted that they had and were changed their pop server configurations to another server (Aliased I assume) and to port 995, which I CANNOT USE on my email client,. BUT - The MASTER account was still working at the old (incoming.verizon.net port 110) settings.  I called to fix this as the POP server is NOT working correctly - some accounts are working, others are not.    I was told by level 1 and level 2 support, and echoed by Premium support, that there was NO manager to talk to, that there was NO 'POP3" group to talk to, that there was no way to 'fix" my problem other than 'Change my settings" which I CAN NOT DO.  They were all reading scripts - no individual mandates, no ability to please the customer or work out a solution, let alone get their hands on the POP server settings.
    This is a totally UNACCEPTABLE situation. Verizon has made a change that many of your customers cannot adapt to and you have left no 'off switch'

Verizon level2 support has no ability to transfer to level 3, tjey have no manager who will accept a transfer, they have no 'pop3' group to figure out what they are doing wrong.  This is NOT support.
    They did this stupidity a year ago when they forced us to use port 465 for all outgoing mail with NO OPTIONS. I was able to get around that with a dedicated proxy but I need to logIN to the pop server to authenticate to my proxy.  That has now gone south, thank you very much.
    I have seven hosted domains, each with email, at three other institutions: NONE of them have changed port 110.  I was actually laughed at, well not 'at' - but with, when I described what you had done.  Verizon may be a money maker but you score -5 on satisfaction, no matter what lies you tell online.
    ALL of my providers allow port CHOICE for outgoing mail (I use 587) and do NOT force users to accept defects:    
        "A feature without an off switch is a defect".

Now, I was finally referred to a customer support rep,  who listened to me and gave me a small discount on my monthly bill for 12 months which kind of sort of compensates for your failure to provide email. but does NOT compensate me for havign to deal with your arrogance.  When the 12 months are up, I have to call back to see if I can get it re-instated.  If that discount is NOT re-instated, I will have already lined up my proxies and will be going back to Comcast, where the tech may not be as cutting edge, but their service is.  Note: Comcast offers a choice of ports for outgoing traffic, one of which is 587, also allows port 25 (with a quitclaim doc for security) as well as styaing with incoming port 110.   It is a sad day when Comcast shows better customer support than ANY other vendor.

NOTE:  Cust service is the only one I spoke to today who did their job and thought of the customer.  SHE is not poor. SHE was OUTSTANDING.
    I gave POOR ratings for the auto survey I received for your Tech Support dept, whose  polices tie the hands of your support engineers and do not train them to handle all of your product. In other words, - POOR (polite) or SUCKS (how I feel)

Update:  today. May 21st, I see the 'fruits of my labor' in that the Master account no longer connects.  I wonder how that happened ? Did someone decide to 'break it' ? Should I have NOT called in to fix my problems? Is this how you deal with customer issues ? Break something else ?

You have, with one UNeccessary, UNrequested, UNbelivable, and STUPID change totally removed my ability to remotely access my Verizon email.
I just wanted to thank you for proving me right 14 years ago when I signed up for FIOS.  I said then, and I repeat, that:
    "rather than the (THEN) excellent attitude and service presented by FIOS leeching into the Verizon (Bell Atlantic and NYNEX) employees, that the lazy, uncaring narrow view of Verizon would eventually corrupt the FIOS devision"

Fourteen years later - I am proved correct.    

All of my email now carries an additional signature line as I slowly redirect email from my many clients and vendors away from Verizon and to my own domains:
    "Due to Verizon's Arrogance and Technical Ineptitude and Narrow view, I can no longer use Verizon Email from my clients.   Please respond to my reply-to address, or if that has been 'confused' as well, that reply to address is  <.....>.   Thank you for your understanding"

When my town and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts hold their yearly rate hearings and the meetings to allow requests from other vendors who wish to provide High Speed Internet via cable or fiber, I shall be there with copies of all my Verizon complaints, and be assured, that if  I have any influence, and the Commonwealth of Mass DOES take EVERY Complaint very VERY seriously, that there will be NO approved rate increases, NO approved expansion and your fiber WILL be considered a 'community resource for other vendors who wish to compete.

You are a disgrace to customer responsiveness and a tribute to the lazy worthless service of NYNEX and Bell Atlantic.

This letter along with copious documentation as well as the support call transcript will be blogged to the four sites I write for, and to any other site I can find that lists ISP issues recommendations or suggestions.  I am home with a bad flu and no voice so I have PLENTY of time to write and communicate (Emailing with Mass DPU and CSD already).

Sincerely and Quite Unhappily
{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@RAHill wrote:

...Bottom line:  I cannot use Verizon POP mail any longer at all unless I use <retch> Outlook  ... which is not, ever, an acceptable solution.  Verizon shows no interest in their customers other than their money and that they don't go to ComCast or AT&T.

That's simply not true. Plenty of people have other POP3 clients set up for verizon.net email. Which client are you trying to use?

0 Likes