Re: New email settings don't work
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@packman344 wrote:

I have an iPhone4 and the settings don't work for incoming mail.   I set the settings back to port 110 and no SSL and they seem to be okay.... for now.

What's the fix?

Psst. If you searched or browsed/lurked around you would of found the answer.

Points to http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/New-SSL-ports-don-t-work-with-iPhone/td-p/382907

Tony_Linguini

I NEED TO UNSUBSCIBE FROM THIS TOPIC UNTIL VERIZON GETS THEIR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND = NEVER

0 Likes
pcjengr

Just got e-mail from Verizon today (1/4/12) which said to make the changes noted in the initial message. E-mail stopped working as  soon as I made the changes. Went back to default, all is okay again. I'm not changing again unless e-mail stops working.

0 Likes
GrammarLady

First, I get an e-mail announcing changes concerning e-mail security. It contains a link that sends me to a page supposedly telling me how to change my settings. I dutifully copy all the settings. I then realize that the page lists all the different types of software one could use to access e-mail -- and mine, Windows Live Mail, isn't there. There is no such thing as Outlook Express anymore, except in legacy versions: Windows 7 uses Windows Live Mail. So I have no idea what steps to follow, and it's clear that the deeply stupid, incompetent, and clueless people who set up this notification process and made the changes are utterly uninformed about what actual software and actual e-mail hosts come with the Windows 7 OS that millions are downloading and using on their computers. Next, it's suggested I use an automatic set-up, so that the adjustments will be made for me. I click on the link. A l-o-o-o-ong time passes. Blank page. Fail. I return to the instruction page. There's a link for Contact Us. I go to that page. You can call, e-mail, etc. I click on e-mail -- it says that Verizon will respond in one business day. I get sent to a screen that asks for my ZIP code and is otherwise blank. I put in my ZIP code, click Go -- and get returned to the Contact Us page. I then click on Live Chat, "Chat with an agent!" I get sent to the ZIP code page again. Same response. Fail. I go to the forums page and -- after an overly complex sign-in process -- discover that no one, repeat NO ONE who followed instructions and changed settings could access e-mail. Can you say, "Verizon has the worst customer service in the known universe?" Who was the staggeringly stupid person who approved the sending of an e-mail that is filled with lies, useless information, and garbage from top to bottom, and that sends you to an Alice-in-Wonderland place where you read, "Verizon tech support ise here to help!" but all links return you to a useless page? The rage, frustration, and loathing I feel for people who actually earn a living behaving like this are impossible to put into words. Every person responsible for this fiasco should be profoundly ashamed. Needless to say, I will not change my settings, and if there is trouble with my e-mail, I will peel paint off walls with my telephone calls. Despicable.

0 Likes
njcountyofficer

I tried the new settings when I received the first notice last week, they didn't work.

I tried the new settings when I received the second notice today , they still don't work.

The old settings still work perfectly.

0 Likes
HTJ001
Enthusiast - Level 1

my interpretation is that VERIZON assumes that we all have FIOS.  I am on a slower speed due to cost factor and the settings didn't work for me as well. I am running Oulook 2003 so that may be a factor, but my hunch is that when i pulled up the Outlook 2003 link, it was headed with FIOS.

Maybe Verizon should have all combinations of users if they plan to update settings.  If it ain't broke don't send me an update.

0 Likes
EdMed

I, too, have changed my settings according to Verizon's instructions, and my e-mail has ceased working. I am running Windows 7, Outlook 2007, and Symantec Antivirus, and I connect to the internet using DSL.

I receive two error messages:

0x80042109 --- Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server.

0x80042108 --- Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (SMTP) e-mail server.

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the settings before I changed them, so I don't know what to return to!

Please can someone help??

0 Likes
PurpleHaze1
Using Thunderbird on Ubuntu I have options to change how the password is submitted but the destructions from VZ don't take that into account. It also tells me that I'm using an unsupported browser to access this page -- as if any rational web programmer is going to write browser-specific code any time in the last 4 years. I have the POP settings functioning for incoming.verizon.net but the SMTP settings for outgoing.verizon.net fail. I know it isn't T-bird that's the problem because I have access to 3 other SMTP servers which have been using security for several years without issue. So I guess the only thing to do is to wait until it stops working and then call the support line, waste 3 hours being forced to lie to them about what email client I'm using and eventually it will work. Thank Cow I have other SMTP servers available to use.
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@PurpleHaze wrote:
Using Thunderbird on Ubuntu I have options to change how the password is submitted but the destructions from VZ don't take that into account. It also tells me that I'm using an unsupported browser to access this page -- as if any rational web programmer is going to write browser-specific code any time in the last 4 years. I have the POP settings functioning for incoming.verizon.net but the SMTP settings for outgoing.verizon.net fail. I know it isn't T-bird that's the problem because I have access to 3 other SMTP servers which have been using security for several years without issue. So I guess the only thing to do is to wait until it stops working and then call the support line, waste 3 hours being forced to lie to them about what email client I'm using and eventually it will work. Thank Cow I have other SMTP servers available to use.

Here is a helpful post by fellow forum user Justin with Thunderbird configuration instructions.

For future reference, the Search feature is in the upper right-hand corner of the page.

wiehenkm

Working

Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit

Evolution 2.28.3

use  incoming.verizon.net:995  and turn on ssl

outgoing.verizon.net:465  and turn on ssl.

Hope this helps

0 Likes