Re: New email settings don't work
BoonevillePhil

Amen to that!  As soon as I changed my setting to the new SSL setting, everthing ground to a HALT & now on the email software for both home & work do not retrieve my email.  I can't even get to the point of entering a password without a error box saying "Failed to read a valid greeting from POP mail server verizon.net".

THANKS FOR NOTHING VERIZON 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Yes its temporarily broken. 

I had been using SSL for months with no problem.  But sometime after noon on 1/5 it broke.  Finally tried a test this morning without ssl (and smtp back to port 587) and that worked.  Finished a online chat after that and they confirmed they knew about the problem.

0 Likes
jlandis44
Enthusiast - Level 2

I restored back to the original settings and things worked again.  Add me to the list of people for whom the new settings worked for a few days, now stopped working.  Also using Avast, but turned it off and that didn't change anything.  I didn't bother calling Verizon as I figure I probably know more than whoever I'd reach on the phone from India...

0 Likes
zoey5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I made all the changes, including checking the suggestions for Office 2010.  Works if I go into my accounts and carefully "check" each one, without making any changes.  Then I get my email for the rest of the day.  Next day it stops again.  I'm going to try going back and see if that does work.

Why can't they stop "improving" their product and start making it work.  Personally, I believe they want us to use the webmail, which I find very cumbersome.

Yes, I got email on January 5.  Now, on January 6, it isn't coming through.

0 Likes
Prock66

i've been a Apple Mail user for years.  tried the new settings and so far only the outgoing worked.  like many others here changed the incoming port back to 110 and disabled SSL.  now back to receiving mail.  hope verizon can look into this.  

0 Likes
jroth314

I had the same problem after following Verizon's instructions.  I turned off the SSL on the advanced tab and was then able to receive email.  I don't know if this will cause future problems, but it's working  now.

0 Likes
linuxgeoff

plus one.  It didn't work initially, then worked  till about 2.40pm est.  I'm really peed off.

1) i've missed important business emails

2) I changed 6 accounts on four devices; now I have to reverse them all.

Would verizon like to compensate me for lost business and my time?

When will they understand that email access is a serious issue and if they can't provide it reliably, they should just not?

0 Likes
zoey5
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did as everyone suggested and went back to 110 and 587.  Now am getting my email.  So what do I do the next time I receive an email from Verizon telling me I need to change my settings?  WAIT!!  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Maybe they will get to the point where I have to change, but no longer do I react immediately.

0 Likes
CaroleRedline

Shame on you, Verizon. Who needs this kind of hassle. I am very tech saavy and I cannot do this on all my devices. And I, too, am baffled as to why I got a message saying I needed to do this and no one else on our business account did. What about those typical users who have no idea how to navigate through this. There are probably thousands of those. I think you are going to have lots of calls so gear up.

I changed my PC quickly. Changed my iPhone yesterday and it was working fine, until today. No email with the pop3 settings.

And no one on Technical support can tell me why it is impossible to change my email settings on my iPad. We went around and around with this and your support to no avail. Thank goodness the old setting work but for how long.

My husband decided to wait to get  letter before changing his phone and PC, Never got the letter but now neither of those devices allow him to get email. We used the same settings for his PC as mine to no avail.

Ok, call tech support and are told they are not aware of any changes to email settings. Now come on!

So after hours he is still without email.

I am very, very suprised that a large company such as Verizon has jumped into something like this without better directions, better assistance and better forethought.

Again, shame on you Verizon.

PS Grammar Lady, thanks for the good laugh. It would be even more funny if it were not true.

0 Likes
CaroleRedline

GrammarLady,

Where is the email with the documentation of tech support conversation.  Appears it is gone. I really want to read it again because at least I can laugh instead of cry.

Some of my email devices work; some do not; neither of my husband's work and he was told Verizon has no known problems with email setting. They suggest he contact Microsoft.

Whew! What a mess.

0 Likes