Re: New email settings don't work
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly, I am more than a little annoyed with the vaguely threatening tone of this email message. And I continue getting them because I have made many attempts to reset the server settings as requested, and the thing doesn't bloody work!

We use Windows LiveMail on two computers here, and the settings worked on ONE out of a number of "alias" addresses attached to our account. When I made the changes on my iPhone, it was an absolute disaster.

It would be great if someone at Verizon--preferably someone in North America with a good working knowledge of both the email system and the English language--would check in here and give a definitive answer.

But why should we expect that? After all, we're just the customers who pay for this {word filter avoidance} service.

Smiley Mad

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stan47 wrote:

Honestly, I am more than a little annoyed with the vaguely threatening tone of this email message. And I continue getting them because I have made many attempts to reset the server settings as requested, and the thing doesn't bloody work!

We use Windows LiveMail on two computers here, and the settings worked on ONE out of a number of "alias" addresses attached to our account. When I made the changes on my iPhone, it was an absolute disaster.

It would be great if someone at Verizon--preferably someone in North America with a good working knowledge of both the email system and the English language--would check in here and give a definitive answer.

But why should we expect that? After all, we're just the customers who pay for this {word filter avoidance} service.

Smiley Mad

They work for users of the Regular Verizon email accounts.  Yahoo user have different instructions.  The emails are not threatening, but they have already begun to shut off access to the old servers, so if you don't change you will no longer to be able to access your email via a client.

If it doesn't work for you, please identify your email client, whether you are a Yahoo email user, and all your email settings (except personal info such as actual id and password), and your fellow peers here will try and help you get it to work.

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

You know, that might actually be helpful, if I knew what an "email client" is.

I've only been fiddling with computers since the 1980s, back before Al Gore invented the Worldwide Web Smiley Wink but some of this terminology is so abstract that it eludes me.

Could you be kind enough to rephrase that in plain English? seriously.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stan47 wrote:

You know, that might actually be helpful, if I knew what an "email client" is.

I've only been fiddling with computers since the 1980s, back before Al Gore invented the Worldwide Web Smiley Wink but some of this terminology is so abstract that it eludes me.

Could you be kind enough to rephrase that in plain English? seriously.

Couldn't be much Plainer.  IF you use verizon (or yahoo/verizon) website to access your email you don't use an email client and these warning messages don't apply to you.  If you use Windows live, Outlook, Outlook express, Apple mail, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc to access your email you are using an email client.  All the clients use POP(3) to retrieve your mail and SMTP to send your mail

0 Likes
Dif2

Yes, it's only for clients like Windows live, Outlook, Outlook express, Apple mail, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.

Like many others I could never get it to work so just gave up until I received another Verizon email telling me to change the settings.

Anyway, I finally got it to work and it's because VERIZON has INCOMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS explaing how to set up the new settings.

Here is where they leave out an important part of getting the settings to work.

All of this info in the following picture is correct EXCEPT where is says .. " use the following type of encrypted connection:

Click and open the drop down menu and select SSL from the list then click OK.

" Do Not leave it at none as shown in the picture!

I spent hours like everyone else trying to get the new settings to work and nothing worked until I did this.

Hope this works for everyone else having trouble Smiley Happy

One thing to note though:

I have a Business account and Also changed the following as per Verizon instructions.

incoming.verizon.net to POP.verizon.net

outgoing.verizon.net to SMTP.verizon.net

BUT, on my Residential Sub account, I had to leave the "incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net" alone and only change the setting as in the picture, and then it worked with the new port settings.

SMTP 4

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Every time this message arrives, I dutifully try to implement the changes.

We use Windows Live on both the computers here. Apparently that is what a previous poster referred to as an "email client."  The word "program" would have been much simpler, even if it is not technically 100 percent accurate jargon.

Long story short, there is my email account, which is the main account on our subscription. We use three other email addresses, and I don't know whether they are considered "aliases" or not. Last I checked, they were called "sub-accounts."

So the changes absolutely bomb when I apply them to what appears to be the main email account. They work when applied to only ONE of the four sub-accounts. Each time I have attempted to comply with this instruction, I have followed it to the best of my understanding, then tested the email service, sending and receiving. When the change fails to work, I am forced to change everything back and re-check that, which is a frustrating expenditure of time.

Does anyone think there will be some time in the future when these changes will actually work? I have begun to think that perhaps the best course of action is to ignore the repeated messages until one or more email account actually quits functioning, and make the changes then. If as someone has suggested this is an ongoing process of change at Verizon's end, maybe it's just possible that this changeover is a "rolling" process and there's no way to determine when it will affect any one particular email address/sub-account/alias/whatever.

What's been anyone's experience with IOS phones? I made the change on my iPhone 4S and again had to change it back.

I recently acquired an Android based tablet and have not yet set up Verizon email there. Any suggestions about the least frustrating way to do this?

What I would dearly love is to have no more than three email accounts, anywhere in the entire world: one for personal and recreational messages (including buying online); one for traffic related to my work in our State Defense Force (this seems to be unavoidable, because they for some reason chose to marry up their communications with Google mail; and a third for message traffic that I think is more likely than the usual to produce spam.

All of the online stuff, which purports to be utilitarian, an aid to our living our lives, sometimes seems to suck up time out of proportion to the benefits it provides.

0 Likes
Buckaroo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like everyone else here I can not get these new settings to work. I use a very old client called Eudora. Don't laugh. No one ever wrights malware to infect a client that very few people use. I am no newbie. I have been geek speaking since the days of 8086's Come on Verizon these are simple server settings. If this many people are having trouble then you need to find the problem. I do not want to change my client and I will not be happy if I find one day it no longer works. Please advise.

Dean

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

Dean,

Your email will always be available via Verizon.com. It is free email service and Verizon cannot be responsible for every 3rd party program that customers choose to use. 

One question I have for you Dean as well as other folks posting on this thread. Besides changing the server settings incoming/outgoing etc. Do you have a setting in eudora for password authentication? This is something that is sometimes missed. Verizon uses secure password authentication when 3rd party clients are accessing the server they must provide the server with the username and password. Make sure you can log into the Verizon.com website and use that correct username and password in eudora with the secure password authentication setting enabled. Just a thought, I am not a Verizon employee.

Logan

Buckaroo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Logan, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes Eudora uses password authentication, and yes I know I can access my mail via the verizon client, however I like my Eudora. The Verizon client is pretty basic. I do not really consider the Verizon Email service to be "free" All I need to do is look at my monthly bill to know that. As far as 3rd party clients go don't you think this is a fairly basic procedure? I mean its just a POP and SMPT setting. I suspect the problem might be related to the SSL certifacate used by our clients. Maybe Verizon needs to send us a new certificate. The ports on my Eudora program are only changeable via a new SSL certifacate. I do have the option to import one but that will be needed from Verizon. Thanks for the input Logan but we all need a better answere.

Dean

0 Likes
unhapy2733
Enthusiast - Level 1
Like so many others the new email settings do not work for me either. I have made repeated tries to change settings but each time the new settings fail to work. There has been much talk here about different email clients, well I have this "problem" across multiple platforms, forget email clients. If the new settings don't work on a new iPad then, in case anyone was wondering, the problem is with Verizon management. Shame on them for wasting my time and so many others. You see iPads are very simple on the user side, unlike Window and the software running on it. If these new settings don't work with an iPad then the fault is clearly with verizon, either not providing enough information or some other problem they are unaware of. Someone at this company needs to take some responsibility and solve this. Of course you could say email clients are not Verizon's responsibility, you could argue that, but to take away a basic expected service is awfully bad business, IMO.