Re: New email settings don't work
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

No need to apologize for using Eudora.

I'd be working from a C:\ prompt if I could get the functionality I need.

I really miss CP/M Smiley Wink

CameronCat

Stan47 wrote:
Honestly, I am more than a little annoyed with the vaguely threatening tone of this email message. ...

That's two of us, then, and the snarky "third message" part is not true for  me; I've only just gotten that one as the first about e-mail settings.  'Course they sent two messages about websites hosted on VZ but I don't have any so that's hard to count as the first two.

Like so many others, I went and changed the settings (Thunderbird 17.0.6) to no good result--nothing worked and I changed it back. But when it didn't work I began to wonder if I'd been scammed by a phony e-mail and came here for info. Glad I did.

I would have hoped that VZ tech staff would have had the courtesy to say "If you're running this, this or that -- do nothing. If you get your e-mail with any of these -- name, name and name -- make these changes."  False hopes I guess; customer guidance seems to elude tham.

For myself, I'm going to sit tight until it doesn't work then figure out how to fix it.

Regards to all, and thanks for posting the known info.

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have filed the new server and port setting information, after having the changes not-work on three different platforms, with the exception of one Verizon sub-account where they curiously did work.

My plan is to sit tight until things quit working, on the assumption that this is some kind of "rolling" change, and that when the old settings quit working, the new ones will.

But I always have at least a plan B, and my Plan B for this situation is to be able to send and receive Verizon email from mail2web.com, which is a free webmail site that seems to give you access to any email account. I have not tried it with Gmail or the other Google mail accounts that someone helpfully (!) set up on my behalf for some work projects. With those accounts, I have configured them to send a copy of any incoming mail to my main Verizon account.

I can't even remember all the various email addresses that I have, many of them set up for the purpose of sharing Google documents. To check all of them with regularity would eat up half of my day.

Stan M

Baltimore

0 Likes
GeoBuke

I am using an Imac (Maverick OS-X) and Entourage E-Mail.

I received an email that  "This is our third attempt to contact you as we noticed that you still have not updated your Email Server settings. We urge you to make changes to all your devices now as Verizon is beginning to implement changes that may cause interruption to your service if you neglect to make the required modifications."

I followed the instruction that have been listed on the board including deleting MAC Keychains, and nothing works. I go back to the old settings and everything works fine. I am at a loss as to what I can do.

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

@GeoBuke wrote:

I am using an Imac (Maverick OS-X) and Entourage E-Mail.

I received an email that  "This is our third attempt to contact you as we noticed that you still have not updated your Email Server settings. We urge you to make changes to all your devices now as Verizon is beginning to implement changes that may cause interruption to your service if you neglect to make the required modifications."

I followed the instruction that have been listed on the board including deleting MAC Keychains, and nothing works. I go back to the old settings and everything works fine. I am at a loss as to what I can do.

As you can see, you are in good company here. VZ has not yet provided any clarification.

As I've mentioned earlier, your best plan is to keep the new setting information on hand somewhere, and if your mail quits working at some point in the future, try reconfiguring then. And in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to set up some way to get web access to your Verizon mail, just in case.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stan47 wrote:

Every time this message arrives, I dutifully try to implement the changes.

We use Windows Live on both the computers here. Apparently that is what a previous poster referred to as an "email client."  The word "program" would have been much simpler, even if it is not technically 100 percent accurate jargon.

Long story short, there is my email account, which is the main account on our subscription. We use three other email addresses, and I don't know whether they are considered "aliases" or not. Last I checked, they were called "sub-accounts."

So the changes absolutely bomb when I apply them to what appears to be the main email account. They work when applied to only ONE of the four sub-accounts. Each time I have attempted to comply with this instruction, I have followed it to the best of my understanding, then tested the email service, sending and receiving. When the change fails to work, I am forced to change everything back and re-check that, which is a frustrating expenditure of time.

Does anyone think there will be some time in the future when these changes will actually work? I have begun to think that perhaps the best course of action is to ignore the repeated messages until one or more email account actually quits functioning, and make the changes then. If as someone has suggested this is an ongoing process of change at Verizon's end, maybe it's just possible that this changeover is a "rolling" process and there's no way to determine when it will affect any one particular email address/sub-account/alias/whatever.

What's been anyone's experience with IOS phones? I made the change on my iPhone 4S and again had to change it back.

I recently acquired an Android based tablet and have not yet set up Verizon email there. Any suggestions about the least frustrating way to do this?

What I would dearly love is to have no more than three email accounts, anywhere in the entire world: one for personal and recreational messages (including buying online); one for traffic related to my work in our State Defense Force (this seems to be unavoidable, because they for some reason chose to marry up their communications with Google mail; and a third for message traffic that I think is more likely than the usual to produce spam.

All of the online stuff, which purports to be utilitarian, an aid to our living our lives, sometimes seems to suck up time out of proportion to the benefits it provides.

Stan47, they started turning off access to the older servers last month and plans were to finish it this year, yes a rolling shutdown.  This change has been in process all year but until the recent shutdowns both servers still worked.  You still haven't specified your client for anyone here to help you.  Remember most of us are just peers not Verizon.

Many threads talk about how to get it to work on Iphones.  Biggest problems is a reboot necessary, and occasionally a need to set it up as if it was a new account.  I have gotten it to work on my brothers IPAD (we have no smart phones) and there was no problem at all in setting it up.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are several threads on Eudora, and someone posted info pointing to a string that turns off its attempt to use a secure password.  Secure password does not work with the new servers.   Jfadden posteed a solution

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/problems-sending-email-what-authentication-is-needed/...

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

TnS_2, by "client" I am assuming you mean what I would call "email program."

We use Windows Live Mail, running WIN7 on both the desktop computers here.

My iPhone is still on IOS6.

About the tablet computer, I am completely at sea, other than to say it runs on the Android operating system.

Applying the changes to Live Mail has worked for one of the four email addresses we use, all of which I believe are what Verizon calls "sub accounts," rather than "aliases."

As I've said earlier today, it appears that the best course of action will be to wait until Live Mail quits functioning, apply the changed settings THEN and pray for success, and in the meantime have a web mail program/client/application set up for emergency use.

This constant need to upgrade and change things really erodes the utility of the computer for me. As a musician, I'd like to be devoting my time to practicing my instrument and to writing some exercises using Finale. It seems as though you can't go a week without some bit of software demanding to be updated or upgraded.

@tns_2 wrote:

Stan47, they started turning off access to the older servers last month and plans were to finish it this year, yes a rolling shutdown.  This change has been in process all year but until the recent shutdowns both servers still worked.  You still haven't specified your client for anyone here to help you.  Remember most of us are just peers not Verizon.

Many threads talk about how to get it to work on Iphones.  Biggest problems is a reboot necessary, and occasionally a need to set it up as if it was a new account.  I have gotten it to work on my brothers IPAD (we have no smart phones) and there was no problem at all in setting it up.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not a program on all platforms but it is the client portion of a client/server app.

I know I posted this somewhere before but here are my windows Live settings.  Definitely work for regular Verizon email although are different for Yahoo interface users.

Particularly notice using clear text authentication.

The port number are on this page and the check marks for ssl.  For me this is a secondary machine so I have leave a copy of messages on server checked.

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Those two screen caps are exactly the way the windows appear in Live Mail, and with those settings applied, they've worked only on the one email address.

I've given up attempting to understand "why." Am just going to stick with the plan I outlined above. Thanks for the help.

Stan

0 Likes