Re: FIX FOR EUDORA
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

Eudora is not being further developed and has minimum support, and so is not the best choice of what to switch to.

Thanks for that info. I can always fall back on web mail, although I hate using it.

Does anyone have a recommended alternative to Windows Live Mail (aside from switching to a Mac).

Stan

0 Likes
Buckaroo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stan, TNS_2 is right. Eudora is a very old program that is no longer supported in any way. The only reason I use it is because I have been using it for years and I have all my different directories or "folders" full of important Emails that I have filed and would hate to lose them or have to save them for use with another client. As I mentioned earlier I also like the fact that Eudora is such an obscure Client that hardly no one uses it anymore. The chance of malicious software being written for it are slim. On the other hand Windows mail and other popular clients may be more vulnerable because of their popularity. If I had to change clients I would probably try Thunderbird. In your case seeing the changes have worked on one of your accounts but not all probably means you are close to getting it right. Have you tried getting a Verizon tech involved? It may mean hours on the phone but if you are lucky and get someone who speaks good English they may be able to search their database for a solution. You would think they have some answers there. It appears that not all people using live mail are having this problem so there is a solution for you somewhere. I hope you can get it figured out so you don't have to waste any more time here.

Dean

0 Likes
kornides

@Buckaroo wrote:

Ok this is for anyone who is using Eudora and can not get the new settings to work. Go to Tools/Options/getting started and change to the new settings:

mail server (Incomming): change to......pop.verizon.net

SMPT server (Outgoin): change to........smpt.verizon.net

Then go to Tools/Options/Checking mail and find "secure sockets when receiving" and change the value to.........Required, Alternate Port

Now go to Tools/Options/Sending mail and find "secure sockets when sending" and change the value to.........Required, Alternate Port

This has worked for me. I am using Eudora version 6.2

Cheers,

Dean

I was struggling with this with Eudora 7.1.  I'm in the same boat as you, Dean, with about 20 years of archive, sorted into nearly 100 nested folders that I don't want to lose.  (next challenge, to see if Eudora will run with Win7 instead of XP-sp3)

Thanks for the tip about the "required, alternate port" option... have made the changes and:

IT WORKS (for today, anyhow).  :prances about gleefully:

I didn't have the port settings as an option so I had to drag the "esoteric.epi" file from the extrastuff folder to the main folder... (Thanks to directions from a helpful page at icomex.com -- "Exit Eudora. Look in the Eudora directory for the folder "Extrastuff". In this folder there is a file named esoteric.epi. Drag this file into the main Eudora directory. Restart Eudora then go to the Tools menu, Options, Ports, and change the ports here as needed.") . Then the port change screen appeared at the bottom of the options menu.

rbk

0 Likes
Buckaroo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nice job rbk. Thats a good find. It looks like we have the Eudora people covered. And by the way, good geek speak.

Dean

0 Likes
Stan47
Enthusiast - Level 3

In all honesty Dean, I am through worrying about this until the email actually quits working.

I'll use webmail if that happens, and since much of the important stuff comes to a Gmail account which I have set to forward messages to Verizon, I'll just cope, and THEN call customer support. I can do a lot of work related communication via text message as well. Seems like the morning mail on my main VZ account brings nothing but spam and a couple of social messages anyway...

I thought there might be an obvious solution here, but apparently not. Thanks to everyone who has contributed suggestions.

Coincidentally, my VZ cell phone got a robot call from Verizon yesterday, urging me to make these changes. If they are stepping up the pressure to do it, the switch over can't be that far away.

Merry Christmas to all. I think I'm dropping out of this discussion now.

Stan M

Baltimore

0 Likes
Re: New email settings don't work
Jeffsangel410
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have been trying to get the settings changed on my IPad2 now since Verizon sent me the 1st notice & haven't had any luck! Every time I try it tells me the settings are wrong, I really don't want to delete the account & start over again but it looks like I don't have much of a choice. I followed the directions online & changed the current settings as they state they should be, what else is there to do? Why after all these years do they have to change things & make things difficult?!
ljaszczak
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do you have to delete the old account? I really hate to because I don't want to lose old emails. So I tried creating a new one but it's rejecting my password. I changed it but it's rejecting the new one as well.

I have a Mac and am using the mail application that goes with that.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Blessed517
Enthusiast - Level 2
I had to revert back to the old settings for Verizon Yahoo! I can now receive and send emails on my iPhone 4 with current iOS settings.
0 Likes
Angrier

I just got home from the hospital after a five day stay that included surgery. My family and friends expected an email from me but they didn't get it. Instead, while I was away, a terrible thing happened to my internet. I am not able to email anyone. There is no place to compose and the Contact List is changed to an Outlook format. I am not able to contact anyone. There is no longer BCC for me to send my Prayer Warrior Prayer Requests out. I am very frustrated and disappointed with Verizon. Maybe you should get rid of Yahoo. Or maybe I should find a new server.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did all of the following a long time ago.

No problems since then

Using iPad 2 iOS 7.0.4 and Outlook 2013 presently

Cleared out my Verizon Inbox of all emails that I did not want to "transfer" to the new account.

inactivated my original ***** Account Name

THEN did exactly what  follows.

To set up your Verizon Email in iPad:

• From the iPad home screen Tap the Settings app
  • Select the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab
  • Tap on the Add Account... tab
  • Tap on the Other tab
  • Tap on the Add Mail Account tab
  • Depending on the version of your iPad software, the Incoming Mail Server and the Outgoing Mail Server may already be added. However, these settings may need to be changed based on the portal partner you have. 
    Ensure that pop.verizon.net is listed as the Host Name under the Incoming Mail Server section. If the Incoming Mail Server is not set as pop.verizon.net then simply Tap the field and correct it.
  • Your Outgoing Mail Server may already be listed as smtp.verizon.net in the SMTP field, however follow along with these next steps, as you will need to make changes in the following screen in order to send email. Also, if you use a Verizon portal partner you will need to modify the Outgoing Mail Server setting as well.
  • Tap on the SMTP field.
  • Click on the advanced tab, ensure that Use SSL is ON and Server Port should be set to 995.
  • Tap on the Primary Server tab (shown here as smtp.verizon.net)
  • If the Host Name is not smtp.verizon.net you can correct it here by tapping on the Host Name and typing the correct outgoing server information.
  • Ensure that Use SSL is ON.
  • Tap on the Server Port field
  • Enter your Full name in the Name field. This is the name that others will see when you send mail from this account.
  • Enter your full Verizon email address in the Address field (example: username@verizon.net). If you forgot your username you can retrieve it online
  • Enter your password in the Password field. This is the password assigned to your Verizon username. If you forgot your password you can retrieve it online
  • Depending on the version of your iPad software, the Description field may be automatically created with the name Verizon. You can change the description to anything you like.
  • Tap the Next button on the top of the screen. Your iPad may take a few seconds while it automatically determines your email settings. Please wait for this to finish.
  • If you are a Verizon Yahoo! Customer then Tap the Host Name field and type in incoming.yahoo.verizon.net as the Host Name
  • If you are a Verizon Yahoo! Customer then Tap the Host Name field and type in outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net as the Host Name
  • Enter in 465 as the Server Port.
  • Ensure that Use SSL is ON.
  • Tap the Done button on the top of the screen.
  • Reboot your iPad for the changes to take effect.

ANYTHING THAT IS IN YOUR VZ iNBOX WILL TRANSFER INTO YOUR NEW ACCOUNT.

BTW ALL OF ABOVE WAS FIRST DONE WHEN I WAS RUNNING AN EARLIER VERSION OF iOS AND OUTLOOK 2003

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT.

PLEASE POST WHEN YOUR UP AND RUNNING AGAIN.

73's FOR NOW

0 Likes