New email settings don't work
Peano
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received an email instructing me to use the following settings for Outlook email accounts:

• Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

I made the changes, and my email didn't work.

I restored the old settings (incoming port 110, outgoing 587, no encryption) and it works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why these new settings are supposedly required?

Re: New email settings don't work
TonyLinguini

They didn't work for me either. I had to revert too. I AM MAD

0 Likes
NoNuisanceCalls

Me also - why wasn't this tested out before we were sent instructions?

0 Likes
Peano
Enthusiast - Level 2

> I AM MAD

I'm not mad. It's Verizon, after all, so I'm not even surprised that it doesn't work.

My former email settings work, and that's good enough for me. It ain't broke, so I ain't going to "fix" it.

If it stops working, then we'll see about those new settings ...

0 Likes
Tony_Linguini

Then you probably wont be surprsed that I had to CREATE A NEW LOGIN JUST TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

And don't get me started on FIOS they promised 4 years ago, and I still DON'T HAVE IT.

0 Likes
alarmlady

The settings did not work for me either, the first few times I tried.  The first part of the email did not give enough detailed information to make all the settings necessary to make it work.  If you scroll down and pick your particular software, you will get detailed information ton ALL the settings you need to make.  I use Outlook 2007, and clicking on that link and following the step-by-step instructions was the only way I was able to make it work.  Now if I could only get these changes to work on my iPhone.....anyone?

0 Likes
Poppy7

Got the new e-mail from Verizon to change settings but they don't work. Checking outgoing messages works but receiving mail has errors and doesn't work. Changed back and all is working. Mail has been slow sending/receiving for the past several weeks, not sure if this is related.

0 Likes
TJ117

Did not work for me either. Had to revert back to the old settings which still work fine.

0 Likes
Captiosus
Enthusiast - Level 2

The new settings are working in Mozilla Thunderbird 9.0.1, but it has made retrieving mail painfully slow. A simple test message from one verizon.net e-mail address to my primary one took several minutes to transmit. Checking takes a minute or two alone while it simply sits here waiting to connect to incoming.verizon.net...

0 Likes
packman344

I have an iPhone4 and the settings don't work for incoming mail.   I set the settings back to port 110 and no SSL and they seem to be okay.... for now.

What's the fix?

0 Likes