Re: New outgoing 465 port not working in my Windows 7 / Thunderbird OR Samsung Galaxy S4
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

TNS_2 -- Thank you for the reply!

"Are you a yahoo/verizon user?  Some have had problems there where some servers are screwed up."

Yes, I am. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "some servers are screwed up"?

Anyway, in my earlier post, I should have said that I'm also unable to get port 995 to work. So, I cannot receive or send e-mail using the new ports.

I have tried configuring Thunderbird, Postbox, and a program called JBMail without success. In terms of Thunderbird, for receiving email, I configured it as follows:

• User name is EMAIL address xxxx@verizon.net
  • Server is incoming.yahoo.verizon.net
  • Port is 995
  • Connection security is SSL/TLS
  • Authentication is Normal Password

For sending mail, I tried these settings in Thunderbird:

• Server is outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net
  • Port is 465
  • Connection security is SSL/TLS
  • Authentication method is normal password
  • User name is just the user name xxxxx.  No @verizon.net

I was thinking of trying to figure out if I could stop using the Yahoo portal to see if settings would then work, but based on reading various threads, it seems like some who don't have the Yahoo portal are also having problems. Plus, I don't want to create more problems than I'm already having.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

0 Likes
Re: New outgoing 465 port not working in my Windows 7 / Thunderbird OR Samsung Galaxy S4
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@pekoe6 wrote:

"Are you a yahoo/verizon user?  Some have had problems there where some servers are screwed up."

Yes, I am. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "some servers are screwed up"?

The pop/smtp server changes aren't for Verizon/Yahoo users, so there's your problem right there. The Verizon/Yahoo servers have different settings and aren't impacted by the plain Verizon server change.

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@somegirl wrote:

@pekoe6 wrote:

The pop/smtp server changes aren't for Verizon/Yahoo users, so there's your problem right there. The Verizon/Yahoo servers have different settings and aren't impacted by the plain Verizon server change.

Hello Somegirl,

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I'm aware that the Verizon/Yahoo server settings are different from the plain Verizon server settings. Per the instructions I received in the email, I have not changed server settings. The problem I'm having is with the ports. The new port settings 995 and 465 are not working for me. I have followed all the instructions regarding configuring my email client but am unable to send or receive email.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Supposively the ports should work, but I don't use Yahoo portal so cannot confirm.  PORTS and SERVERS typically go together.

This seems to be the Yahoo Verizon page

http://help.yahoo.com//l/us/verizon/mail/ymail/basics/mail-12859445.html;_ylt=At4tC3lYtVuKcGzunQWRaY...

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

Supposively the ports should work, but I don't use Yahoo portal so cannot confirm.  PORTS and SERVERS typically go together.

This seems to be the Yahoo Verizon page

http://help.yahoo.com//l/us/verizon/mail/ymail/basics/mail-12859445.html;_ylt=At4tC3lYtVuKcGzunQWRaY...

Hi TNS_2,

Thank you for the reply! Yes, that's the same page I was sent to via the link in my email telling me about the changes.

I followed the instructions without success in 3 different email clients.

0 Likes
homeappraiser

Same here. New settings do not work with my Windows Live Mail. Went back to old. Verizon: If it's not broke, don't fix it!

0 Likes