New security Forcing me to close all verizon email accounts
eddeb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

In all my years the very very best protection against spam and malicious junk mail for me and all my people has been a little lightweight program called mailwasher.  Nothing anyone could do with filters even comes close to what this little sucker does.  Simply scan an account and click the junk mail messages and hit process mail, and zip... GONE from the server before any garbage gets on my machine.  No signing into webmail, and no downloading unknown junk mail to my client.

Trouble is, it scans on port 110 and doesn't like port 995.  Now 2 out of several verizon accounts are failing in my little program.  This means the world to me and my family.  Since verizon is totally useless against spam I will be forced to use webmail (what a **bleep**) or better yet just close my accounts and use my domains or something else entirely.  The prospect

of chancing a download of mail to my client without this protection scheme that we all have used for a decade is chilling.

When you get on one of those horrible marketing scheme spaming lists, verizon allows ALL that junk mail through.  When you finally dig around enough to figure out who you might complain to, verizon blocks any attempt to forward spam headers to the proper authority because - GUESS WHAT?  It's SPAM!!!!!  How backward is that?

This is so discouraging.  Verizon, it is just not that hard.  I want my access to scan my mail.  I don't need you to interfere.  I really have grown to detest you.

Re: New security Forcing me to close all verizon email accounts
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

Have you checked with Mailwasher to see if they have any plans to support port 995?  It is a more secure way of talking to a server, so it would seem they'd want to support it.  Lots of mail providers use it.

There are other spam filter solutions out there.  You might want to try spambayes, it works with several mail programs and is also free.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: New security Forcing me to close all verizon email accounts
eddeb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the reply.  Sadly the mailwasher dev appears to have sold the thing years ago.  I am running the ancient  freeware version which checks unlimited email acounts and weighs less than 4mb.  The newer version is bloated and checks only one email account.  So far, all of them I've found are the same.

Imagine a little exe file you can drop on any machine and check 5, 10 or 20 email accounts across unlimited servers with the press of a button. Wouldn't that be awesome?  Well it was, but is now being rendered useless for no good reason.

I know a lot of folks aren't responsible enough to be out there on the web, but these guys always focus on fixing what's not broken, and wreaking havoc in the process.  Of course, fixing what IS broken is out of the question.

0 Likes