Hello. This morning I noticed I haven't received any messages to my pop3 client since 2pm yesterday, 11/28. I haven't changed anything with my client, I've checked my spam filter via webmail and the msgs haven't been blocked.
I use Yahoo and Gmail in the same client and have received msgs from both since then.
I have sent test emails from the yahoo and gmail accounts to my verizon account but none have shown up.
I also sent test messages from my verizon account to my yahoo and gmail accounts and I HAVE received them.
But I still haven't received any messages to my verizion account.
I checked my verizon account via webmail and I have not received the messages there either.
To clarify, I haven't changed any settings in my email client and prior to 2pm 11/28/2012, everything has been working fine.