No “new mail” notifications from the My FiOS app on Android
ZachE1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m not sure which forum to post this question in, so I am starting here. I installed the My FiOS app on my Android phone. I can access my e-mail account, but I do not receive any "new mail" notifications when new messages arrive. And I do have My FiOS configured for notifications in the app section of Android Setup. My cell phone carrier is not Verizon Wireless. What can I do to receive new mail notifications?

0 Likes
Re: No “new mail” notifications from the My FiOS app on Android
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Personally I would not use the My FIOS app for mail retrieval  Use one on your device and the indicator will probably show up.  MYFIOS is more a another way to access other things and does not run all the time.  It behaves more like a web app than an email app.

The mail indicator is turned on by an email app that runs automatically periodically to see if there is email.   Even Verizon phones run a version of a email app rather than MYFIOS.

Note you are talking only to peers here.

0 Likes
Re: No “new mail” notifications from the My FiOS app on Android
ZachE1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand that this is a peer forum, but sometimes the replies are quicker and more accurate than other sources of information.

I know that an e-mail app on the phone can be used to access Verizon e-mail, but Verizon only allows “POP” access to its e-mail servers from an e-mail app (or from an e-mail client on a PC). An e-mail app will provide notification of, and access to, new mail, but an e-mail app cannot access folders that have been created on the Verizon mail server. Also, an e-mail app on a phone cannot access the “Sent Mail” folder, so I cannot access my own messages that were sent from my own computer.

The MyFiOS app provides full IMAP access to Verizon mail, so I can access all folders including the “Sent Mail” folder. So the best solution for a phone seems to be using two Apps – an e-mail app to get “New Mail” notifications, and the MyFiOS app to access folders.

I read elsewhere on this forum that Verizon will be switching their mail system to AOL. When that happens, it will solve my problem, because AOL mail allows full IMAP access from e-mail apps.

0 Likes