Re: OTHER POP3 ACCOUNTS USING OUTLOOK
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm curious about your comment.  Why do you think Verizon prefers folks to use webmail vs. an email client?

In any case, may be worth a shot to check your thunderbird settings.  I don't see what Verizon can do to direct your mail into a different mailbox.  The mail program goes to the server, sees if anything is there and pulls it down.   Its a client setting that determines where to put the mail.

Anyone a Thunderbird user that can help this person out?

0 Likes
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

When Verizon first got in bed with Yahoo several years ago I had to jump through a few flaming hoops to get thunderbird to work.  Yahoo doesn't support POP3 mail clients at all.

As for what's going on now, I can't see inside the mail server so I can only guess.  It appears that all the mail for an account and all it's subaccounts sits in one file and the webmail application sorts it when you read it.  But again I can only guess.  I've moved all the important senders off Verizon in preparation for switching to Comcast.  I just can't deal with the poor performance anymore. 

I did have a guy at my door trying to sell me FIOS, I asked about the CDR (Committed Data Rate as we called it when I was programming frame relay setups), he looked at me like I had two heads.  I tried "OK, what's the minimum speed you can guarantee I will get on downloads?"   He did the song and dance routine about the net getting busy, etc.  So I said "If I understand you, you want me to pay more money for a service that might be as bad or worse than the DSL I have, and it will cost me $300 to have it taken out?"  He left.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I know a lot of people who refuse to take their ISP's email account for fear they will not like the provider at some point and they will need to change.  I guess that's why the likes of Yahoo and Gmail are strong.  In case you didn't know GMAIL allows a POP client to pull mail from heir servers.  You can also use the GMAIL servers to send mail.  Some ISP's don't allow you to send mail using their servers unless you are connected on their network.  This prevents the SPAM or relay issue.

Verizon has been in the game of providing T1, Frame Relay etc. for many years but the folks they hire today have no clue about that technology.  All I can say is my cable provider charges $40 a month for 6/3 and I pay $38 for 25/5 internet speed.  I have never asked what the CIR is or even thought to ask but I can tell you this.  I run lots of traffic through my FIOS connection and I never have any issues.  I have two different VOIP phones in my home and I've never had a problem with voice quality issues.  I can stream vidoes, radios, speed tests, etc. while talking on my VOIP phone and never have an issue.  

Remember you can communicate on the Internet as fast as the slowest link.  But I have found with FIOS you can run a hell of a lot of traffic through the link and not have any issues.  I know people that cannot use VOIP with DSL. I  know people that have problems with VOIP using Cable.  I guess it all depends on your needs.

Getting back to the main question here, I had tried Windows Live Mail and when I set it up, I used Verizon email along with my gmail account.  It downloaded the mail to two different mail boxes.  I personally prefer to have my mail in one account, but that is my preference.

Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

You've had good results with FIOS, I'm happy for you.  Past performance is all I have to judge Verizon by.  I'm being billed for 3/768 service but only getting 1.5/384.  When I call support they tell me "You're in an area that only supports 1.5 mbit".  When I ask how my next-door neighbor, connected to the same pole as me, has 3/768 service they just repeat the same thing like a demented parrot.  If they will guarantee in writing that I won't have the same problem, "You're in an area that only supports 768k", then I would consider FIOS.  As it stands, it costs more with no guarantee I won't have the same crummy speed and the same demented parrot, so it's no FIOS for me.

0 Likes
swanny2

Have a very old Window 98 system with Outlook Express. Outgoing port set to 465 and incoming set to 995. I can receive mail but cannot send. Pop-up window on send/receive indicates system is sending and receiving on incoming port. A second pop-up indicates that server has timed out.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@swanny wrote:

Have a very old Window 98 system with Outlook Express. Outgoing port set to 465 and incoming set to 995. I can receive mail but cannot send. Pop-up window on send/receive indicates system is sending and receiving on incoming port. A second pop-up indicates that server has timed out.

Since you have not provided your definitions there is no way for anyone to determine what you might have wrong. But here is a link to Outlook Express definitions that work on Windows XP:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Outlook-Express-SSL-Account-Definitions-for-verizon-n...

Of course with Windows 98 being so old way out of support, it may be that you do not have (and now probably cannot get) some service for OE that is required to use SSL, I have no idea.

Keller, TX 76248