Only want to keep my existing email account......
joebx1

Divorce situation....moving, but have a long, LONG TIME verizon email account.

The apartment I am moving to only has COMCAST internet and TV service.

I don't want to lose use of my existing verizon email account.

How can I keep it ? All I really want is POP3/SMTP access to their servers.

Someone said to get a dial-up account....another said to sign up for a domain name:

http://www.verizon.com/home/utilities/security-backup/#domain-name This is known as VYD(Verizon Your Domain)

But with that option, one must have either high speed internet or fios TV service.

On top of that, this post:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Verizon-Your-Domain-Keeping-verizon-net-email-and-ali...

indicates that the all-important sub-accounts which have the "friendly" addresses won't be transferred, only the primary "vze" account. That makes it totally worthless !!!

Options please ? At this time, I don't see any !!!

0 Likes
Re: Only want to keep my existing email account......
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

VYD supports both the Primary account and the Sub-accounts, but you must be established (setup process completed) with VYD prior to disconnecting your Verizon internet service.  Once established to VYD, you can disconnect your Verizon internet service (when disconnecting internet, be sure to specify that you want to keep your "Broadband Essentials and Extras" service to keep VYD.)  All your email maintenance settings (password, etc.) have to be configured prior to disconnecting your Verizon internet service, as you won't be able to log in to your Verizon internet accounts after disconnect - only the Verizon web-mail interface or POP3 to download email elsewhere.

The problem to which I referred in one of your links has to do with the older accounts that originated with an auto-generated "vze...." style ID and required a human readable "alias" for actual useful email addressing.  I'm in the process of cutting over to VYD soon, and have been told two different things: 1) Domain group says the aliases will be lost once Verizon internet service is dropped.  2) Verizon Support says aliases will flow through to VYD even after internet service is dropped.

I guess I won't know until my internet service is disconnected.  This issue has been discussed here before, but no-one seems to have updated what their final results or resolutions were, so I'm still in the dark as to whether this will work for my email aliases.  Hopefully I'm not merely stuck with the "official" "vze...." email addresses, as those were NEVER used for any email and would be completely useless.  We'll see...

0 Likes
joebx1

Thanks rChaz. Amazing this has to be so difficult to do.

My situation is different. I will NOT be terminating my existing Verizon FIOS service as that is in my ex's name.

Again, all I want is access to Verizon's POP3/SMTP servers....that's it. I won't be connecting via FIOS.

I won't be installing FIOS at my apartment as Verizon won't do it for a single unit....they want all of the units to be converted from COMCAST to FIOS.

Again, I keep thinking that if I just pay for a dial-up account, won't that provide me with the ability to connect to email regardless of how I connect ?

0 Likes
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, that's an interesting situation.

If I understand this correctly, because your ex is continuing the FiOS internet service, none of the accounts (Primary or Sub-account) will be discontinued.  Email-wise, Verizon Your Domain won't really do much for you (except maybe to protect your @verizon.net email addresses if your ex discontinues FiOS at some point in the future.  Also, VYD requires you to sign-up using the Primary Account ID.)

As for FiOS internet service, it seems that your ex is the Primary Account holder, so she would be able to "manage" the sub-accounts.  This would give her the ability to delete or otherwise modify a sub-account.  There probably is nothing you can do about that.  Is your ex spiteful or friendly toward you?

If your email sub-accounts remain untouched, they should continue to function as they have in the past.  You would be able to access the email either through the Verizon online WebMail site or POP3/SMTP using the same configuration, regardless of which ISP or where your internet connection resides.  I've used both methods to access my @verizon.net email at a different/non-Verizon ISP location.  (No need for a Verizon dial-up account.  Besides, that would be a new account anyway; I don't know if you could transfer your verizon.net email addresses to a new account.)

POP3/SMTP settings for @verizon.net email can be found here:

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/86...

0 Likes
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Slight edit to my previous post: at the distant location, I used the standard POP3 settings for Verizon incoming, but the non-Verizon ISP at that location required sending outgoing email via their own servers, so I had to configure SMTP using settings for the ISP at that location.  I could still send using the Verizon email address, but going through the local ISP's servers.  Configured that way, no problems sending or receiving Verizon email using POP3/SMTP.

0 Likes
Re: Only want to keep my existing email account......Verizon Support Help Needed.....
joebx1

re: " Besides, that would be a new account anyway; I don't know if you could transfer your verizon.net email addresses to a new account "

Yes, I am sure they can do this...I've already asked. The question is: for just POP3/SMTP access to email, can I just sign-up for a dial-up account ? Or must I secure a FIOS contract ?

It seems to me that all I would need is dial-up....just to establish the ability to access email and for them to bill me monthly.

Can someone from Verizon chime-in here ?

0 Likes
Re: Only want to keep my existing email account......Verizon Support Help Needed.....
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hello joebx,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly at Contact Us.

0 Likes
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, here's an approach you could try as long as you can transfer your email address with a change of service:

The ideal goal would be to end up with email linked to "Verizon Your Domain" (VYD) for $20/year.  To do that initially requires either DSL or FiOS services, as it can't be done for a dial-up account (who knows why.)  So:

1)  Sign up for DSL (as long as you have land-line phone wiring for the location & it's close enough to a CO that services DSL, this could be available despite "cable" services in the building limited to Comcast.)

2) Transfer the email addresses to the DSL service.  At this point you'll be the Primary account holder and can do step 3).

3)  Sign up for VYD.  Make sure it's fully established.

4) Cancel the DSL service, leaving you with only VYD & your email addresses (including POP3/SMTP access.)

0 Likes