Outgoing Verizon.net emails fail
trainbow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are currently unable to send outgoing emails with our Verizon.net accounts. We have tried Thunderbird and Eudora, we have tried two different computers, we have tried three email accounts; failures each and every time.  But we can receive new emails with no problem.

We contacted Verizon.  The online agent did a shared screen process and was unable to find any solution.  We are now in line for a phone call from Verizon support; 18 hours and waiting.  We rebooted the Verizon router in case that would help; no change.

While we wait for Verizon to call, what else can we try to solve this problem?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Outgoing Verizon.net emails fail
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also try pinging the outgoing mail server.

if it responds, then the problem is likely your configuration or the antivirus or the software itself is corrupt.

since this is two different machines, and two different pieces of software, I think that would rule out the software being corrupt, but leaves open the configuration as a possibility and the anti virus as a possibility.

here are some additional troubleshooting steps from microsoft

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

While waiting try the online auto fix utility's.

See if it will correct it, it does not work for eudora but it will auto configure outlook or outlook express or windows mail

Fix your Verizon Email Account
Auto Setup Outlook
Auto Setup Outlook Express
Auto Setup Windows Mail

You can also delete your profile in thunderbird and verify that you are using the right settings by building them in manually.

What are my Email Settings ?

Also if you have any antivirus's try disabling them.  Antivirus's are sometimes configured to scan email before allowing it to send or receive, usually this is receive, but there are sometimes settings for sending email and those are in your antivirus. 

so if you have time do a google search with your antivirus name and "can't send email"   so for example "AVG Can't Send Email"  and see if there are any support forums, where other users have had similiar issues.

Firewalls pose the same risk.  The easiest thing to do is to disable the software, and then test again.  

Here is a user from the Mcafee forums who had a similiar issue, and what his fix is,  you will want to explore the same type of fix but with the instructions from your antivirus provider.    Just to see if it helps 

Link

Hubrisnxs
Legend

also try pinging the outgoing mail server.

if it responds, then the problem is likely your configuration or the antivirus or the software itself is corrupt.

since this is two different machines, and two different pieces of software, I think that would rule out the software being corrupt, but leaves open the configuration as a possibility and the anti virus as a possibility.

here are some additional troubleshooting steps from microsoft

trainbow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fortunately I happened to try the antivirus software solution first, and that solved it.  I have Avast! on the computers now, and sure enough there was a setting for scanning outgoing emails.  I deselected that box, went back to Thunderbird and sent out each of the nine emails that were stacked up there.  A test email from Eudora also worked.  I'm glad it was such a simple fix.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

🙂    that's very cool.   glad I could help a little!

jaci2

My email, for the outgoing only, will not send now!  I checked AVG and I looked to see if my outgoing emails were being "checked" and I did not have that setting checked.  So, now I am moving on to the MS website to see what is going on.  Is this a verizon problem?  It just started today, yesterday it was perfectly fine.  Anyone else having trouble?

0 Likes
Speedo1

I'm having the same problem.  Don't know why this changed, but the following fix worked for me.

I had been using port 25, online help said I should be using port 587.  I changed the outgoing mail port to 587.  Still didn't work.  I went into the router and checked the firewall settings.  It only was allowing port 25 for SMTP.  I added port 587 for SMTP to the firewall setting.  Can now send out e-mail.

Speedo

0 Likes
miminyc

how did you add the port?

0 Likes