Outgoing email problems - RIDICULOUS
scstev
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have my own mailserver and have been succesfully sending authenticated (TLS + login) mail over port 25 for a year+.  Today, I was suddenly unable to.  After two hours debugging on my server, I finally discovered that Verizon is now blocking port 25 outbound to outside mail servers.

I am now using port 587 with TLS (SSL) enable and username/password authentication.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED BEFORE THIS CHANGE WAS IMPLEMENTED.  I know some people appear to have received letters or email, but I did not.  Big waste of my time, and apparently a lot of other people.

Also, what exactly is insecure about allowing port 25 with username/password + TLS????  A port is just a number people, it's the protocol that matters.  BTW, the spammers are way smarter than you Verizon.  Until we all start using attributable email, I don't see spam going away.

Re: Outgoing email problems - RIDICULOUS
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Almost all major ISPs are blocking port 25 for 3rd party email providers. Verizon is actually late catching up to what has become an industry standard. The email would have been sent to your verizon.net account, so if you only use your mail servers you probably didn't get it. The information contained in the email can be found at http://www.verizon.net/port25 if you want to see it.

I got an automated phone call when this change was rolled out in my area. I normally hang up on automated calls, as most people do, but I was bored so I actually listened to that one. Not sure if this was/is the case in other areas.

As for whether it will stop spammers... I think this is more of a "Well, everyone else is doing it!" move for Verizon.

Re: Outgoing email problems - RIDICULOUS
Etienne
Enthusiast - Level 2
There is nothing that insecure about 25, at least in cf to 587. Some experts did a thorough analysis (wish I had the link) of the two under the same situations and found no substantive justification for leaving 25.
0 Likes